Manslaughter arrest over ice hockey player kicked in neck with bladed boot

5 Likes

Ha, I had been a hockey fan up until about then. When Minnesota, Quebec and Winnipeg all moved to points south that was a signal that it was more about money than passion for the sport and I kinda drifted away.

5 Likes

Look for a clip of Kaiden Guhle’s similar accident from last night. Much better outcome. I was watching that game, no one thought it was anything but accidental. See also Evander Kane’s serious injury from last season; he’s apparently fully recovered now. Again, no question of intent.

Democratic Debate Im Okay With That GIF

3 Likes

I don’t see how they think that someone who’s falling from a check being able to aim a kick to the neck with a skate. It’s a mystery!

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but that reference is lost on me.

Matt Petgrave, the player charged with manslaughter.

1 Like

Thanks.

The NHL tried this in the 1990s and soon figured out why fighting is a part of hockey. The fights are not the most dangerous activity, its the dirty players who take advantage of the speed and confusion in the action to injure opposing players. Its not something that can always be proven or countered by the refs. Fighting is the way players make it clear that dirty hits won’t be unpunished. When the NHL cracked down on fighting, overall injuries went way up, especially to star players. When there is no way to make dirty players face up to their actions, they get out of control.

Now, we have the whole of non North American hockey to show that its possible in theory, and beautiful to watch, but that’s not the reality in the NHL. (or even my sub beer league)

1 Like

Plus, it doesn’t even need to be dirty players. Big players can legally check a finesse player and hurt them without any dirtiness involved. It’s a contact sport. The enforcers are there to make sure that there are consequences , yes, but they’re also there to make sure that even the clean hits don’t get to the star player.

Fighting isn’t the problem in the NHL. Fighting didn’t cause this situation. At its worse, it was a player trying to kick the other person and missed, and at it’s best, it was a freak accident. A trial will figure this out, but as long as players play with skates on their feet, this will happen.

2 Likes

I paused after the moment of the injury.

Looked to me like Petgrave was trying to get body position on the other opposing player entering the offensive zone, they tangled, he lost an edge and his skate went flying up.

He wasn’t trying to check the other offensive player, you can only body-check the puck carrier. The physicality up to that point was arguably interference but no more.

Routine hockey play that went wrong and not intentional from how I see it. I know the sport decently well.

4 Likes

It would be unmanly and woke to dilute any of the spectacular violence that is currently accepted as a routine and normal part of this sport that I like /s

3 Likes

I was horrified when a friend who played casual parks-and-rec soccer got a bad knee injury from an intentionally injurious tackle. Jesus, it’s for fun but shit like that affects peoples’ lives, have some persepective for cryin’ out loud.

3 Likes

Same for adult recreational hockey in the US. Ejection, game misconduct (someone else will have to sit in the sin bin for 10 minutes), and suspension.

@stinkinbadgers: At least once a year, some idiot that randomly shows up to our rather friendly recreational league has to be told, point blank, “there is not a Stanley Cup in the future of any player in this league”. Hell, there’s not even a t-shirt if your team finishes in first.

6 Likes

A lovely little movie for hockey fans and others.

This gives me the opportunity to link to the greatest men’s hockey rec league story of all time. I played in this league although different division from where this incident occurred so I never faced the, uh, poopetrator.

1 Like

I can confidently say nothing remotely close to this has happened in Ann Arbor’s rec leagues in the past 20+ years. :flushed::face_vomiting:

1 Like

Robin Friday should never be anyone’s role model.

Friday was so angry at his team’s performance that he broke into the Mansfield dressing room and defecated in the team bath.

After receiving a red card, Friday left the ground with the game still going on; according to legend, before leaving he broke into the Brighton dressing room and defecated in [Mark] Lawrenson’s kit bag.

1 Like

Do they have a brown card for that kind of thing? I feel like they should have brown card for that…

4 Likes

It’s a six game ban for spitting at players, and that’s only one letter wrong.

1 Like