Gentleman knocks himself out after fighting another man at hockey game (video)

Originally published at: Gentleman knocks himself out after fighting another man at hockey game (video) | Boing Boing

4 Likes

A student of the “you can’t fire me, I quit!” school of fighting.

16 Likes

The Woman that is filming’s reaction at the end, damn. I guess all the empty cans on the floor are empty for a reason. The speed at which people come to his aid is astonishing :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Legendary Canadian politeness taken to an extreme.

12 Likes

there are so many things about hockey i don’t understand.

12 Likes

What a nutter.

2 Likes

“The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them! And by golly, if I could get down there, I’d be standing up to them!”

4 Likes

From what I understand, there is an area of ice, called a “rink”; and then fighting takes place in and around the rink. The winner is decided by T-KO or likes, shares and reTweets.

10 Likes

Jim Carr: Hi, Jim Carr again. Denis, I know that some in our audience don’t know the finer points of hockey. Could you tell them, for example, what is icing?

Denis Lemieux: Well, um, icing happen when the puck come down, bang you know, before the other guys you know. Nobody there, you know. My arm go comme qua, then the game stop, then start up.

Jim Carr: I see. What is high-sticking?

Denis Lemieux: High-sticking happen when the guy take the stick, you know, and he go like that

[high-sticks Jim Carr]

Denis Lemieux: You know. You don’t do that.

Jim Carr: You don’t do that?

Denis Lemieux: Oh no, never, never.

Jim Carr: Why not?

Denis Lemieux: Against the rules. You know, you’re stupid when you do that. Just some English pig with no brains, you know.

Jim Carr: Uh, what is slashing?

Denis Lemieux: Slashing is um, like that.

[demonstrates on Jim Carr]

Denis Lemieux: You know.

Jim Carr: Mm-hmm. And there’s a penalty for that?

Denis Lemieux: Yeah and for the trip also, you know like that.

[demonstrates]

Denis Lemieux: . And for hook like this

[demonstrates]

Denis Lemieux: . And for spear, you know, like that.

[demonstrates]

Denis Lemieux: You do that, you go to the box, you know. Two minutes, by yourself, you know and you feel shame, you know. And then you get free.

13 Likes

Hey, I go to a hockey game to be entertained, and frankly, entertainment can take a lot of different forms.

3 Likes

Go ahead…

1 Like

An own goal from a header is usually more of a football thing.

fucking-embarrassing-coach

10 Likes

Kitimat has the trifecta of remote, small-ish town with lots of high paying blue collar work. Throw in a [local sports] game and free flowing beer, and this is a predictable result.

Good chance the pugilists know each other, either from work, growing up together or possibly playing beer league hockey.

I also play beer league hockey, and I haven’t seen a fight of any kind in years. Occasional swearing happens.

9 Likes

We like it violent, violent, violent!

2 Likes

Here’s hoping the gentleman doesn’t have a brain bleed from hitting the concrete - people have died doing less.

5 Likes

They were fighting long enough where security should have showed up to handle the situation but after he was out I would have thought someone would be on scene pretty quick.

I was at the Detroit fireworks back when our daughter was still in a stroller, two young women were beating the crap out of each other, I mean one was slamming the other’s head into the pavement while the crowd cheered. I tried to break it up but some dude slammed me into the ground and said let them fight.

Maybe security at that hockey venue have learned not to intervene until one of them gets knocked out.

I stay away from hockey games, they don’t do a thing for me. Now roller derby…

I did see this once at a Meatloaf concert, a couple rows down a young drunk girl was doing the classic fling your head back and forth up and down to the beat of the music getting dangerously close to the seat in front of her.

Sure enough, she knocked herself out but in that case ushers and medical personnel were aiding her within seconds.

3 Likes

You know the old saying: “I went to a boxing match and a hockey game broke out!”

@rocketpj: same, but our league director moves people around if they are butting heads on the ice to be on the same team to make us “play well with others”. It mostly works, and it’s a much friendlier league than any league over at the 3-sheet rink a couple miles away.

7 Likes

In Kitimat that would have been a Junior B or Junior A game at most, which means there isn’t likely security of any kind.

Hockey happens in Canada every day, in every town from about 6 am to 2 am, with breaks for summer.

5 Likes

“Authorities believe alcohol may have been a factor.”

6 Likes

It’s called headbanging, although you’re not supposed to take it as literally as the girl in your tale did :wink:

1 Like