Mansplaining: The Statue

Christianist

2 Likes

Those coming to Chicago for the Nebula Awards weekend next week can see this piece and others by the same artist in the Modern Wing of the Art Institute of Chicago, a few blocks from the convention hotel. The Charles Ray exhibit just opened.

1 Like

I am sure that the interwubs is full of men wisely explaining that this is a totally innocuous statue and lamenting the fact that ugly bitches are always looking for things to be hormonal about.

7 Likes

Great. Another day, another inkblot outrage.

The world is a big Rorschach test. If you want to be outraged about offensive inkblots, it tells more about you than about the stains.

Edit: Hereby I propose an expression, “Rorschach outrage”.

10 Likes

Well, actually…

11 Likes

Good job radical feminists. Keep it up! Why bother with real issues that women are facing around the globe when you can talk about statues­.

3 Likes

The bench lunge is weird and aggressive body language to display while talking to your peers. Do your friends normally do this to you?

6 Likes

I only talk to my friends dressed exactly like this.

22 Likes

The look on her face is what makes the caption funny (and to my eye appropriate). She’s like, “Dude, really?”

I found this in the comments on the original - Frogsplaining.

2 Likes

All I see is a funny re-titling of a sculpture that re-contextualizes the interaction.

Show me where you see the outrage on this inkblot.

12 Likes

God forbid a man has a little Captain in him.

2 Likes

Oh man, what IS the name of this derailing tactic? The one where the derailer says this issue isn’t worth talking about because some bigger issue is still a problem? Meh, can’t be bothered to look it up.

Imagine this, bro – a statue just like that, but with the genders reversed.

Tough to imagine something like that actually being commisioned for a college campus, amirite?

Gee, I wonder why…

7 Likes

@milliefink, Millie, Millie, we have had this conversation a thousand times. They are called trains. And you’re welcome.

(Dodges pint glass thrown at face)

(I’m going to hell for this one :D)

5 Likes

I would indeed forgive this statue, if the man had a jaunty peg leg and hook hands.

8 Likes

Fucking riker, always Riker-splaining.

7 Likes

It is simpler and more correct to state that this [OP] is non-issue. No train derailing needed.

The only fault I find is that he’s got a foot on the bench where I might next sit. Otherwise his posture looks comfortable.

1 Like

7 Likes

If the figures were switched, the statue would be called “WHOA!”

2 Likes

I love it when my some stupid jokes are taken seriously. I am thinking about a tag line: Everything I say is either a (poorly constructed) joke, a lie, or most likely both :smile:

4 Likes

Well, the foot on the park bench obviously portrays a possessive, dominant, to hell with the rules attitude. (WHich reminds me when in Japan I momentarily put my foot up on a park bench to tie a shoe lace one of the local park attendants ran over and gave me a thorough dressing down (in Japanese of course). Of course, it is perfectly acceptable to publicly hack up oysters on the street, or urinate against any wall, but putting one’s foot on a park bench is a no-no.

4 Likes