Map of the dark web

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/15/map-of-the-dark-web.html

2 Likes

I can’t remember if it was Compute or one of the other magazines at the time, but in the early 90’s they included a fold out poster with a map of the internet that included every website at the time.

edit: Found it! It was PC/Computing Magazine in 1995

16 Likes

“You are in a maze of twisting little passages, all alike.”

10 Likes

“You are in a twisty maze of little passages, all different.”

4 Likes
7 Likes

Seems to me there are a lot of generic login pages and server test messages.

My question would be – unless you’re just deliberately trying to mess with people – why would you go through the trouble of setting up something on “the dark web” and not try to obfuscate it with a generic login page or server test message?

1 Like

Thank you! I had the very same map - and USED it extensively, as a jumping-off guide. Often thought about it in passing, great to see it again. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And could you tell me the best route from Witt’s End to Mornington Crescent?

7 Likes

Wait… are you telling me that websites with the same predominant color are pretty much the same content? What are all those maroon sites? That’s kind of a right-wing color, right?

That looks amazing, and useful, because it has URLs. Unlike the dark web map, which - unless I’m missing something - doesn’t, and is useless.

1 Like

I win! I found the happy blue whale.

3 Likes

Map of the Dark Web
61a3qeag-aL

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.