Map pins pop songs that mention cities

[Permalink]

Australia looks like it should have more markers.

Ditto for Canada via Hank Snow,

And half of Stompinā€™ Tom Connors songs. And itā€™s astounding that no one from the Atlantic Provinces mention place namesā€¦ Sigh.

1 Like

Nothing for Atlanta, despite it being the epicenter of Dirty South hip hop. If nothing else, it was on the list in Living in America. So, F.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s a really cool idea. I didnā€™t see any mentions of New Orleans, which, really? but nonetheless, heā€™s got a good start on it. I assume it will be added to.

1 Like

I dunno if this is a pop song,

But Toronto sure loved it

There artist (compilist?) seems to have made a distinction between songs about cities and songs the merely mention cities.

The Heart of Rock and Roll names quite a few that are not on the map.

1 Like

He used the Wikipedia article here to compile the map: List of songs about cities. However, cities like my old hometown (Montreal), have their own pages (List of songs about Montreal) that are linked to in the main article, ditto Toronto, ditto Vancouver.

Ditto London and New York, but he couldnā€™t afford to forget about those cities, now could he? (However, Manchester and Liverpool also have their own pages, but theyā€™re in the same boat as Montreal, Toronto and Vancouverā€¦ and, especially in the case of Liverpool, thatā€™s just silly. No ā€œFerry Across the Merseyā€ here, Iā€™m afraid.)

Sloppy, really.

I know at least Outkast, pre-Stankonia, made many references to the ATLā€¦ hell, they even talk about East Point, specifically. I know they canā€™t be the only dirty south act to talk about the city. Isnā€™t there some ludacris song where he talks about I-20?

I personally have a very broad interpretation of the term ā€œpop musicā€ (which Iā€™m sure not everyone agrees with), so, yes?

No mention of Carlisle (amongst others)

or most of the rest of the north of England for that matter

1 Like

Yeah, there are like a million songs which talks about NOLA.

1 Like

They have ā€˜Panicā€™ under London but not Birmingham, Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee or Leeds.

If itā€™s songs about Towns/Cities, then they are missing ā€˜Dirty Old Townā€™ under Salford.

Edit: I never miss the opportunity for a Manics song. Hereā€™s one named after Hugheskova/Yuzovka/Donetsk

2 Likes

Well, he got Newcastle, but no ā€œFive Bridges Suiteā€.

Server not found

Firefox canā€™t find the server at javierarce.com.

I think we broke it, dudes.

2 Likes

???

Seems to be working pretty well for me.

Hi, Iā€™m Javier, the author of the map.

Hereā€™s some info about the project, links to download the data and some words on how to help me improve it (as I wrote there, the map doesnā€™t pretend to be an exhaustive collection of songs about cities and the information comes from the Wikipedia).

2 Likes

Donā€™t mind us angry pendants, as thatā€™s sort of what we do hereā€¦ Itā€™s hella-impressive with over 7000 pop songs! Cool stuff!

2 Likes

Oh yeah love that manics track, nice homage to theme for great cities is that.

1 Like

This is a really cool idea, and it really shows how many songs about places there are because even with 7000+ songs, cities that have many songs about them get left out.

When I first looked at it I thought it was so weird to me that Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles donā€™t have a mention, but Cleveland has 20. But then I thought about how each of these big cities have well known nicknames ā€œThe Motor City,ā€ ā€œL.A.,ā€ ā€œThe Windy Cityā€ and maybe those donā€™t have a way of matching up? But then I looked at a list of songs about Chicago on wikipedia, and one about Detroit, and Los Angeles, and there are hundreds in each list.