See where musicians are located in the Music Galaxy based on similar listeners

Originally published at: See where musicians are located in the Music Galaxy based on similar listeners | Boing Boing

This is an amazing feat of large scale data visualisation. And it runs smoothly on mobiles.

1 Like

What da?

Oh right, it pulls from Spotify data.

6 Likes

I largely agree, but the interface is a bit mad. What’s with the bright pulsating ‘sun’ behind some artists, and the overlapping names making both illegible (and it seems very hard to zoom or pan to force some separation).

1 Like

Wow that is cool!

Ok, so why is Papa Roach, Nickelback, and Linkin Park so close to The Flaming Lips? I call bullshit.

Then I see Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber like folks swarming around Daft Punk, which if I were to play daft punk radio on Spotify I would never hear either of them. Alternatively, some of the stations Spotify makes for me are too narrow and contain songs it plays all the time. Maybe Spotify’s recommendation system needs a slider to adjust between personal and everyone… stay within my preferences or get more universal.

I’m impressed they had Professor Elemental.

1 Like

Can we get a music galaxy for just boingers?

1 Like

Air Supply lives in the same galaxy as Funkadelic.
This explains why Air Supply was booked for the first Black Student Union party at PC.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.