Mapologies is a website full of interesting cultural and linguistic maps

Originally published at: Mapologies is a website full of interesting cultural and linguistic maps | Boing Boing

3 Likes

thanks, now I know nothing

6 Likes

Yet another map for this Reddit page:

6 Likes

Welshman attempts to buy carrots in England: “What did you just call me?”

4 Likes

If you like this, you’ll love:

Cartonerds assemble!

5 Likes

Yeah, I do get why dhanyevhaad is provided for the country of India and Nepal, because there was no other word for “thank you”. And, as I was told, dhanyevhaad would only be used when someone more or less saves your life. Hence, I always got a chuckle from my Nepali hosts when I added the word derai in front of it, which meant “thank you very, very much”, upon receiving a cup of morning chiya.

2 Likes

By contrast, the どうも for Japanese is what you would say to a waiter for bringing you a cup of coffee.

2 Likes

The map for “Tank” explains that the word originates from the portuguese Tanque. In German and Finnish the word Panzer is used. But the word Panzer (armor) itself comes from the french Panciere, which was a piece of armor that covered the belly (paunch). That’s fun.

5 Likes

The thanks one is too low Res to read the UK, and I can’t find it on the site, but it doesn’t seem to show ‘ta’ as one of the most common words for thanks across multiple dialects.

1 Like

In Brazil we also use Muito before Obrigado to emphasize the act of giving thanks. “Obrigado” is the verb oblige inflected in the past tense. Those who study linguistics believe that this was a formal way to end a letter. One felt obligated in some way to serve someone esteemed. Some time later, the language ended up changing and this expression ended up being reduced to a verb, which became an expression of gratitude. When someone says “obrigado” to you, you should say “de nada”.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.