Marge Simpson cuts her iconic hair in painting outside the Iranian consulate in Milan

:slight_smile:
But there are certainly people who fired shots in the coup who are still alive and well now, and we still prosecute NAZIs, who were active a decade earlier.

ETA: My point being, this is the distant past with bearing on today more similar to the US civil rights movement than the European defeat of the Aztecs, though both remain significant.

except the revolutionaries killed them all in 1979

The “civil rights movement” is still going on now, that’s why we’re still talking about it

Conversely, the reason to bring up the coup of 1953 is to insinuate that today’s protests against theocracy are part of the same CIA campaign, which may not be helpful

3 Likes

Also, it shows how little agency some people believe the Iranian people have.

4 Likes

Thank you for articulating something that was bothering me about this approach in general. Whether we’re talking about 1953 or today, the U.S. isn’t the only or even the deciding factor – positive or negative – in the affairs of Iran or other countries.

The idea amongst some on the left of the U.S. being an all-powerful boogeyman that can do no right is just as invalid and dismissive of the agency of others as is the neoCon PNAC fantasy that the U.S. is an all-powerful savior that can do no wrong.

3 Likes

Kermit Roosevelt knew people in Iran who supported the Shaw, and wanted to overthrow the government, and he was smart enough to give them the logistical and financial support they would need to carry it out. The US played an important role in the coup, no doubt, but you really can’t pull something like that off without some sort of local support there. That doesn’t give the CIA LESS culpability, of course, but it’s less about being the ONLY factor, and more about being a decisive factor.

I doubt that all those teen girls putting themselves in harms way to oppose the regime now are CIA puppets. If people believe that, then they don’t know teen girls very well.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.