Maria Butina pleads GUILTY. Russian spy “knowingly engaged in conspiracy against the United States”

I think that you missed the /s tag.

Also…

I question this characterization.

Otherwise, I’m good with your response to my comment.
I’m sure that I’m not being fair to either her or you.
I just, I can’t help it… I think she’s boring.
Or I’m grumpy, one.

3 Likes

I’m old enough to remember conservatives frothing at the mouth over anything Russian related.

Cut to today where it seems that loving Russia is the the new conservative passion.

Is there any good long form journalism on how this transition happened? I was oblivious to it until the recent events but has this been general knowledge for much longer?

12 Likes

Agreed. He showed the world he can fix the entire American election system and all it cost him was a few internet trollies, a few strategically placed campaign contributions and a couple of mid-level agents. The whole effort probably cost an order of magnitude less than Trump spent sending those troops to the border for a photo-op.

12 Likes

not only that, but most (many?) of those conservatives were the very same who were doing the frothing back in the day…

9 Likes

Could also pose as an US police report.

2 Likes

for fucks sake you can get more for a dime bag if you aren’t white.
conspiracy with a foreign power to undermine our country should carry a lot more than up to 5 years, smdh.

seems clear who the true patriots are and who the shills are.

all the good’ol’boys intentionally left the back door to our country open and sold us out for a few bucks. the people that prop these organizations up are either willfully or ignorantly traitorous.

10 Likes

Exactly. I’m really curious how this flip started. I get that at some point it reached critical mass and the heard fell in line. But those early ones it seems like they would have taken a big risk to suddenly be openly friendly. I’m going to assume that money/greed was the driving factor. But there was a time that no amount of money would of offset a conservative’s hate. I guess the dissolution of the Soviet Union was enough to tip things in favor of greed? I’m still curious about the early backroom stuff that must have been going on back then. Was it a hard sell or did the conservatives really not care and were just happy to have a new income stream? I honestly don’t know.

7 Likes

Adios Rusky Chica.

1 Like

any time new territory opens up for capitalism there is a rush to get in before the others do… “sure, maybe you have to get down with the bad guys, that’s just the way things are” :slight_smile: also reminds me a bit of the Nazi rocket scientist’s acceptance in the U.S. early on “hey, they’re pretty much like us after all. They sure aren’t commies!”

6 Likes

This should have been the clue for anyone with a brain (which, unfortunately, excludes the Trump clan almost wholesale) because there are no gun rights in Russia. At all. Period. Putin is not about to allow his serfs to be armed. Damn, the stupid just burns. It burns, man!

9 Likes

Very true. I can imagine the justifications now as I think about it. Still would be curious to see how this change was introduced and how it spread in actuality.

3 Likes

Not so much conservative, I think, as racist. Putin is portrayed as “the Great White Hope” in a lot of right wing nuttery. His attacks on the LGBTQ community in Russia have just confirmed his bona fides.

8 Likes

A year or so from now Jr will jump over the counter of a Tim Hortons’ and demand political asylum.

9 Likes

Speaking as a Canadian, Hockey had a lot to do with it. The 1972 Summit Series… I think there is also non-goofball academic opinion that supports that idea (my opinions being of the goofball variety).

The deal speaks of 0-6 months and a $500-$9500 fine:

"Conspiracy against the United States” means doing anything that that makes it inconvenient for government bureaucracies to know everything about you.

It’s a complex mess involving American Trotskyites-turned-neoCons, the fall of the Soviet Union, alliances (and loan-taking) with Russian oligarchs, etc. At the moment, though, a lot of the populist right’s affinity with Putin’s Russia (and, by extension, that of the GOP establishment that depends on the Know-Nothing base) is grounded in good old-fashioned white supremacy and bigotry.

8 Likes

Ah good points that no doubt appeal to a certain slice of Amerika.

Is this something that has been generally well known since the early 90’s?

So this mess has been brewing for 30 years somewhat quietly, and Trump was the pivot to take this kettle of bad ideas from the backrooms and sell it QVC style to the mouth breathers.

7 Likes

if only we could drain the swamp and lock them up! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

… handwritten note … “How to respond to FSB offer of employment?”

I refuse to believe any more that this is a real timeline. When the author throws shit like this in, it just ruins the immersion. I suspect that i paid well for this simulation and would like my money’s* worth.

* Presuming that there is money, qua money, outside the simulation.

6 Likes

“We should let them express their gratitude now, we will put pressure on them quietly later.”

I’ve been puzzling over this. Part of me thinks it might be code. But it could be exactly what it says, but who is “them” and what is the “pressure” coming later?

[ETA: My bad-- I misunderstood the timing here-- thought the message was sent recently.]