Maria Butina to plead guilty to conspiracy, accused Russian agent flips to help investigations

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/10/maria-butina-to-plead-guilty-t.html

12 Likes

I can’t decide between posting the requisite “GOOD!” meme, or the requisite ‘avidly eating popcorn’ meme; I think I may need to create a mashup.

28 Likes

I think Moss is close enough here…

41 Likes

Along with those, we also need to have a pool for how many comments it will take in a topic like this before one of the kids from the IRA in St Petersburg or one of Putin’s Useful Idiots shows up. I give it 10 for the first and 9 for the second. As usual, the prize is a virtual bowl of borscht:

21 Likes

Coincidence?

For him yes. For her prob nyet so much. Just doing her job.

17 Likes

Ruh-roh. – S. Doo

15 Likes

“the deal could see Butina receive a lesser sentence, depending on the level of her cooperation, before likely being deported back to Russia”
One wonders how long she’ll survive after ratting out her overlords.

29 Likes

When “Win by any means” runs headlong into “Oh, really?”

7 Likes

Also known as 'Negative Nancy’s, the Harbingers of Doom, ‘Debbie Downers’, and the “Just Lay Down and Rot” Crew.

Fuck that noise; I’m made of more resilient stuff than that, my mama didn’t raise no punks, and I’ma fight until my very fast breath.

20 Likes

All this “nothing” Mueller keeps finding sure seems to be piling up.

39 Likes

I’m confused - is this one of those good people (who can be found on both sides), or is this Russia not sending their best? Maybe if she was from some place like Norway, and not a shithole country, it’d be ok?

20 Likes

Especially once she has a chat with Mueller. So many unnamed American “Individual 1’s” in the GOP these days seem to be taking their marching orders from Russian bankers who just happen to be close allies of Putin (i.e. any banker or oligarch allowed to do business in Russia).

Also, that pic calls out for thought bubble treatment:

Erickson: “I’m getting laid tonight! Who says young redheads don’t like middle-aged guys with tombstone teeth and Lumbergh’s fashion sense?”

Butina: “I’m influencing an American Presidential election tonight! Who says conservative American lobbyists are incorruptible rugged individualist supermen?”

27 Likes

[A satisfied smile creeps across Robert Mueller’s world-weary face as he hits Command-S on the report he’s been authoring for nearly two years and gets up from his desk for a well-earned stretch.]

Aide: Sir? There’s word from Liu over at USAO-DC. Butina’s just flipped and she’s ready to offer new testimony on how Russia and the NRA illegally influenced the election.

[Mueller slumps back in his chair and buries his face in his hands]

40 Likes

NRA = Nationalist Russian Advocates

Do svidanya, tovarishch.

17 Likes

12 Likes

The Russians don’t care about that.
Assuming the theory that they are trying to sow divisiveness, cooperating (and ratting on her US friends) is the most effective strategy.

13 Likes

I dunno. If her plea means she will eventually be deported, then she can’t give up too much, or she’s dead meat when she gets back to the motherland. We also don’t really know what she knows about President Cheetoh’s dealings, info could have been compartmentalized so she was kept out of the loop on the larger scheme.

That said, it’s sure bad optics for the administration with all these guilty/cooperation deals coming over and over. Trump twitter tirade in 3… 2… 1…

11 Likes

Maria Butina, 30, was either a perky gun nut with a fetish for sex-starved GOP losers, or a secret agent in Russia’s covert influence operation to influence the 2016 United States elections.

DBcUtoo

21 Likes

The already broke NRA is now in extremely deep shit.

Is there a strategic reason why “broke” might be on purpose?

6 Likes

This is good news for the Republicans.

5 Likes