Mark Wahlberg does a pretty good job decoding Boston slang

In the Berkshires jimmies was interchangeable with shots

2 Likes

I’m sure you actually meant to say “spahrs” :wink:

1 Like

Short for Jimmy hat

2 Likes

Jimmies = chocolate sprinkles. Please. You want condoms, you get a pack a rubbahs.

Among the kids, who would say “I high hosey the…”? As in, I’m calling the couch, the best chair, the front seat of the cah, and because I’ve said these words, it incontrovertibly belongs to me this time.

Choosing teams on the street or playground: p ut your foot in the circle, somebody would tap each foot, one per beat while chanting “My mutha and yur mutha were han-ging out the clothes [beat] my mutha punched yur motha right in the nose [beat] what culla was the blood?” “Purple.” “P… u…r…p…l… E!” “Aw!!!”

1 Like

Never heard “shiesty,” and “jimmies” are the little brown sprinkles you hoped were chocolate-flavored that you put on ice cream. And I’m surprised that the nasty alternate “hoodsie” definition was an area thing; I thought that was something some jerk in town came up with.

I still sometimes say “wicked” (it’s one of the all-time great intensifiers).

Another Mass?/NE? word is "bumperjumping (so, “bumpahjumpin”). When there was snow or ice on the road, kids would grab onto the bumper of a passing car and slide along behind it, usually until one of them got hurt (hopefully this thing has died out; I think some kids were killed doing this).

1 Like

7 Likes

I’m thinking that they should’ve called this video “Mark Wahlberg decodes 5th grade Southie slang”. I’ve never heard anybody say “shiesty” or use “hoodsie” to refer to anything but a tasty little cup of ice cream.

I don’t think it’s specific to Boston, in fact it seems to have originated in New York, and its etymology comes from “shyster” (which might come from the German “scheisse”) but not from “Shylock” as some people think (of course meanings can change over time.)

I suppose if Wahlberg was doing this clip on the west coast someone out there mistakenly thought it was Boston slang.

I’ve heard the word in hip-hop lyrics forever.

https://www.lyrics.com/lyrics/sheisty

Huh. I always assumed Shyster and Sheisty were Yiddish. Learned both words from NYers who use a lot of yiddish or yiddish slang.

My mom says tonic, and she grew up in East Boston. I never say that. A corner store might say spa over the door but I never heard anyone say anything except cornah stoah. And we had a clicker.

2 Likes

MarkyMark is tarded. Plenty Massholes in the summer in Maine too.

1 Like

What you called bumper jumping, much of the snowy region near the Mississippi River called shagging. I don’t know why.

This is a great bit of celebrity film promotion! Seriously, I would watch more of this, rather than a string of trailers.

Ha! There’s a joke in Vonnegut’s “Jailbird” where the protagonist hears a bag-lady on the streets of NYC calling everyone “fat”, and only later realizes he knows her from Harvard, and that she’s calling everyone a “fart.”

The truth is it seems like fewer and fewer people in and around Boston speak with the accent as time goes by. And movies where everyone affects the accent typically seem forced.

1 Like

Ask Markie Mark what the southie term for beating up a Vietnamese refugee is? What about when black children try to attend a predominately Irish public school, is there an endearment for those children inside a school bus being pounded with rocks?

2 Likes

ay-uh. we’d take the cah to the cornah stoah too.

Good point. The only time I’ve ever heard anyone say it would be something like…
“Where ya goin, pal?”
“Conna stoah, need soda.”
“Which one?”
“Hodgkins Spa.”
“Hey, the packie’s nearby, grab me some Cooahs.”

and also if he and Roy Moore had any inside jokes with special slang back un the 90s. I’ve heard tell (from a close friend who politely declined to be a third) that Mark dabbles in the kind of mathmatics where if there’s two of them their combined ages are actually 32!

1 Like

I think i’ve heard that too.

I grew up in western Canada and right away I recognized “jimmies” as slang for condoms. That’s not to say it’s common usage here, I probably just picked it up from a movie or TV show. But it shows how easily regional slang can be exported.