Smoke some shoes? The DEA's list of slang terms for cannabis

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/12/smoke-some-shoes-the-deas-l.html

4 Likes

In college I had a nice full color anti-drug magazine that was put out by my local PD when I was a kid, and it had a list of slang names for weed, most of which were outdated. “Griffo” is one that sticks in my mind to this day.

15 Likes

No “jazz cabbage”?

15 Likes

What no wacky tobacky? Times they are a changin.

21 Likes

Sasafras;

?!???!???!??!?

6 Likes

15 Likes

Smoke some shoes, with the smoochy woochy poochy? Sounds like first season Rick and Morty, to me.

5 Likes

That’s what we all called it back in the 90’s. I guess it’s too new to have made the DEA’s list.

The other one we ended up using just as much was “Left-handed cigarette”. We picked that one up from a local cop after he used the term when checking that one of the students was only smoking tobacco cigarettes.

11 Likes

I know some of these must be names for particular strains, but almost all seem implausible to me.

8 Likes

Perhaps the DEA are already alert to the dangers of cake:

4 Likes

Tastes like Root Beer

4 Likes

“Fuzzy Lady” is going to be my new band name.

8 Likes

“Magic smoke” is the term for frying electronics. Lots of false positives there.

Quite an absurd list. And people wonder why there is such contempt for law enforcement.

12 Likes

I actually came to the comments to make this exact statement.

2 Likes

I think this shows a profound lack of understanding of drug (and sex) slang in general. In my experience, the slang terms aren’t a “code” to be deciphered so much as they are a generic stand-in word, which is given all of it’s meaning by the context around it. The “slang” can be anything to fill the blank space you are leaving out.

“Do you like my new blue jeans?” would never be misunderstood as “evaluate the quality of this marijuana”, but “bro want to step out back and smoke this fuzzy lady?” would be clearly interpreted as “lets smoke this marijuana”.

You could substitute nearly any word, and combined with the tone and context, it would be understood. Trying to document every substitution would be like trying to understand building construction by documenting all of the things people jam into cracks to stop drafts from coming in.

11 Likes

So if I use any of the words on this list to try to purchase marijuana, I may be misidentified as a narc.

BB is helpful as always.

10 Likes

They forgot “burnin’ [alternate: smolderin’] rope”. And “choom”.

2 Likes

But Cake?!

2 Likes

They forgot “Melania’s Helper”.

12 Likes

and “Pool Boy”

4 Likes