Smoke some shoes? The DEA's list of slang terms for cannabis

Yep, effective code words are easy to come up with and good for keeping overt drug talk out of texts, emails, etc. (as anyone who crosses, or might cross, international borders in possession of the same smartphone or computer they use daily should probably do). Assuming you don’t also have that one friend who feels free to discuss such matters with no attempt to disguise the topic, laying waste to your attempts to keep the ganja-gab on the down-low, as kids definitely used to say.

1 Like

Damn smurfing right!

6 Likes

It seems to me that most of these words are types or brand of the devils weed, not the weed itself. Hell, I’ll bet there are far more “brands” of weed based on where they’re grown, or effects, or even cost. Like “Purple Haze” was a specific type of acid, describing its effects.

4 Likes

I am disappointed that Malarkey is not on the list.

7 Likes

Actually, that is part of my problem with the new SAT format, there is a new emphasis on understanding language in context, rather than on the analogy section. I why that’s an important skill, but if I can smurf my way to the right answer without actually knowing what a word means, it’s not a very effective metric.

2 Likes

“Tennis Instructor”

3 Likes

Lists like this just prove to the public that the DEA is a mostly useless organization that hires rubes and fools.

9 Likes

Back when I lived in a time and place where cannabis was illegal, my electronics nerd ex would refer to it as “tubing” or “wire” when emailing their hookup about it. We started using the term with each other now and then.

Now it’s just “weed”.

2 Likes

I would have thought that would be a slang term for MDMA.

3 Likes

@dommerdoodle

You two would be on the right track. Deisel describes a subset of strains that has the odor of petrol, while others smell like citrus or more traditional. I had a sativa strain recently that was called Lemon Cake, and I’ll be damned if it didn’t smell like lemon poppyseed cake.

Weedmaps has a menu of strains listed by name for most weed shops in San Diego. Here’s the one I frequent (well, been to once)…I’m still not sure who named them, the growers or the sellers…

6 Likes

devil’s lettuce

Never heard that one. Made me think of “Jazz Cabbage” but I @1060west beat me to it. However:
My college crew was on a camping trip when a Boy Scout troop passed our camp and pitched camp nearby. After dark, some of the dads came round to our campfire to “say hello,” but we looked like absolute freaks: we knew it, they knew it. So my friend Dustin just point-blank says to them “Y’all wanna smoke some of this electric lettuce?” and we all broke up. Not sure where he got that one from, or if he made it up. But he’d never said it before, which compounded the novelty.

3 Likes

In '79 a plane crashed into the side of the hill that the Charleston, W. Va. airport sits on top of and spilled 12 tons of pot all over the place. Bags of weed showed up not long after that smelled like petrol. As far as I can remember there were no burns reported.

“Happy Hollow”

7 Likes

I’m reminded of Botnik’s neural-net-generated pot names. They’re really not any more absurd than the real thing.

14 Likes

I remember that in the late 80s, my friends and I in Kansas would describe a score (successful transaction) as having mowed the lawn.

“Did you mow the lawn today?”

“Yup. 1/4 of an acre.”

10 Likes

Some of these term are so obscure.

03%20PM

6 Likes

For me, much further back…

4 Likes

Zoom (marijuana mixed with PCP)

7 Likes

Just had to feed the A-Z list through an RNN text generator…

1 Like

With our neighbors in the Great White North legalizing, I’m hoping to see “cannadabis” catch on.

6 Likes

If it matters, ‘Skunk’ actually smells , well, skunky. The people at the head shop across the street smoke it frequently, and all I can think is ‘that better be one helluva buzz from how it smells. You need a better grade.’

5 Likes