Watch the banned "Taste the Bush" wine commercial!

[Read the post]

Anything only “is understood” by those who lack the ability to consider multiple interpretations. It should never be automatic.

That’s what she said.

4 Likes

Amazing something that mildly sexual still gets banned in a world (though granted, a different country) where this was okay about ten years ago. [NSFW language]

16 Likes

I don’t get it! What “bush” are they referring to?

“The bush” is Aussie slang for the open country. So the non-sexual meaning of the commercial is that you can taste the countryside in Australia where the grapes were grown.

3 Likes

Oh, come on. It was the Dutch that thought that was OK. They think everything is OK, even today.

6 Likes

“The bush” is Canuckistan slang for the open country too, especially for First Nations.

1 Like

Ding dang Dutchies, being all open minded and stuff.

Sucks that so much of the rest of the world is so slow to follow their lead.

7 Likes

Implying that somebody is likely to receive oral sex is far from demeaning them.

16 Likes

There are SO many references to blowjobs in advertizing, I can’t help but finding allusions to cunnilingus quite refreshing. Brings some balance.

22 Likes

The suggestion also bothers me that a “worst case” reading of “taste the bush” as a sexual euphemism must be degrading. Does oral sex upon women degrade them? The statement appears to push a sex-negative agenda which I do not share nor approve of. It smacks of repressive ideology.

7 Likes

The Dutch are fine. I just support any excuse for the English to make fun of other Europeans.

1 Like

I think that’s what most people think when receiving oral sex, “This is so degrading. When will it end?!?”

13 Likes

Right? The “degrading” bit seems like a canard. I don’t see a problem with helping to normalize the idea of oral sex for women.

6 Likes

The actors own portrayal of embarrassment at the ‘phrasing’ supports that reading. Whether it is degrading or not, she was portraying a person who found the euphemism degrading. I guess it may be considered positive that we are supposed to laugh at such a person, but like the “men incompetent at housework” so often shown in paper towel etc commercials, it plays to and tacitly supports a stereotype as being “normal”.

3 Likes

On most things…
Zwarte Piet
They still have a few things that need cleaning up.

I just see two faces looking at each other…

22 Likes

There’s a difference between embarrassing and degrading. If she’s registering any slight embarrassment at that moment, I read it as embarrassment about the topic of sex inadvertently coming up within that context.

Um, what stereotype, exactly?

I’m guessing a lot of women laughed too, and maybe part of it for many was delight at the idea of oral sex for women.

9 Likes

So no reference to a “vagina” was intended?