Martial Law in Turkey?

13 Likes

Mind you, if it is a nut job tank commander taking a bridge or two …

Oh that guy… sometimes I miss him.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Some videos and feeds at Gawker:

2 Likes

I have to say, it’s kind of amazing that we can watch this unfolding in almost real time. We had some real time stuff when the Communist world came apart, but not entirely.

Of course, that also means lots of bad speculation happening as well. But we’ll see by this evening, I guess.

9 Likes

Same here. Still amazes me. Every time.

3 Likes

With Erdogan’s shenanigans of late it isn’t completely unsurprising… I wonder what pushed them into responding?

4 Likes

the last surprising political news from Turkey was the reestablishment of high-level contacts with Russia. could this be related?

3 Likes

What took them so long?

Meet The Man Who Funds ISIS: Bilal Erdogan, The Son Of Turkey’s President

10 Likes

Yeah that would be a thing that would make them complain a bit.

3 Likes

we have an official thread : )

1 Like

@falcor or @beschizza would you please move these over to the boing thread?

1 Like

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/15/turkish-military-says-it-has-t.html

2 Likes

TRT (Turkish public broadcasting) building has been occupied by soldiers.

1 Like

From the Guardian’s Alan Yuhas:

The full Turkish military statement reads: “Turkish Armed Forces have completely taken over the administration of the country to reinstate constitutional order, human rights and freedoms, the rule of law and general security that was damaged.

“All international agreements are still valid. We hope that all of our good relationships with all countries will continue.”

The Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is on holiday and outside the country. Reuters has quoted a source within his office as saying that he is safe.

well this will work too.

3 Likes

My guess is that he’s now on an extended holiday…

We went to Turkey - Istanbul and Cappadocia - in 2011 and loved it. The people were beautiful and welcoming and the places we visited were stunning.
I hope some stability comes back to them soon.

3 Likes

I think he got a job as Trump’s spokesman.

2 Likes

And how often has the military actually done that?

3 Likes