Martial Law in Turkey?

Tanks have just open fired in Ankara. Shots fired in Istanbul as well.

2 Likes

don’t forget Bulgaria, not exactly BFF with Turkey, but a much more relaxed relationship than Greece and a similar long land border.

but you’re most likely right that we will not see mass emigration until the situation gets much worse

1 Like

I recall a clip from Fahrenheit 9/11 in which U.S. soldiers had Slayer playing as they operated a tank. Can’t recall if they were just on the move or engaged in combat. Neither would surprise me.

2 Likes

Putin: hey sounds shitty over there, let our people out safely, mkay?
Reporter: What about Erdogan? Any comment?
Putin: hey sounds shitty over there, let our people out safely, mkay?

1 Like

You need some loud music when you’re operating a tank, dude; have you never heard those guns go off?

1 Like

I’d say that’s a safe bet; given that the likely alternatives are (A)the army fairly literally jumped the gun on an administration that shamelessly pandered to ‘values voters’ and hicks in the sticks but wasn’t genuinely constitution-shattering enough to pull a coup on; or (B)somebody got advance notice of Erdogan’s next exciting surprise and concluded that he was in fact working on being that bad.

2 Likes

Lots of news reporting army heads are actually split. This is Not Good. At this point, the best scenario is that the rebels give up and ask for mercy. An actual civil war in Turkey would be Extra Bad With Double Pepperoni; we won’t “just” get millions of refugees, but there would be an actual risk of contagion in countries with large Turkish communities like Germany and an explosion of uncontrolled black-market routes (weapons, drugs, the lot) all over the continent.

EDIT: Obama put the hammer down. It’s over boys, please go home. Please.

2 Likes

Sounds like this coup isn’t going to stick, but I imagine it’s not going to end quietly. State TV back under govt control.

I’ve been following this guy on twitter, I think he’s in Istanbul.

https://twitter.com/ahmetasabanci/

1 Like

Wow. This is the most ground-level feed I’ve seen so far. Thanks for sharing.

'Specially love this:

https://twitter.com/pulpoed/status/754074457484955648

6 Likes
6 Likes

Holy hell. You weren’t kidding:

It’s actually not that loud inside for modern tank teams [
] It’s a different story for anyone outside and next to the tank, as the 120 mm cannon goes off: roughly 190 Decibels [source]

2 Likes

That isn’t good. Turkey was only semi-stable to begin with. I know someone studying religion over there.

So it is a NATO country, what is the protocol for that?

Erdogan has reportedly landed at Ataturk airport.

4 Likes

In Turkey? Grab a chair and make popcorn.

5 Likes

why
 there has been a coo
 the military is in charge
 unknown whereabouts of the president

I heard that
 its such a powder Keg area of the world

Forget about NATO. I wonder what the US Air Force personnel at Incirlik are being told to do. That’s a whole lot of sitting on your hands and conveying in earnest the impression you’re not getting involved.

2 Likes

Secure their nuclear weapons?

8 Likes

panic in the streets
 shooting lots of pool no dough

1 Like