Martin Shkreli’s Wu-Tang Clan album sold off to pay his debts

Originally published at: Martin Shkreli's Wu-Tang Clan album sold off to pay his debts | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Shkreli has been held accountable and paid the price for lying and stealing from investors to enrich himself

But not held accountable for price gouging sick individuals to make ludicrous and sickening amounts of profit. Because when you steal from the poor, it’s “business,” but when you steal from the wealthy, then it’s a “crime.”

32 Likes

This is what you get for disrespecting the Wu-Tang Clan.

20 Likes

Speaking of accountability. The government sold this privately, and agreed to hold the buyer anonymous and not report the sale price. Seems like the sort of thing that should have been sold at auction.

19 Likes

“Through the diligent and persistent efforts of this Office and its law enforcement partners, Shkreli has been held accountable and paid the price for lying and stealing from investors to enrich himself.”

he still asshole sacha baron cohen GIF

23 Likes

How does one purchase a Wu Tang Clan album for the US Government, anonymously, and without a disclosed price, if it was never publicly listed for sale or auction?
Seems like a very interesting FOIA Request.

(Also, fuck Martin Shkreli)

25 Likes

Also seized from BroBro and sold off was an Enigma machine.

A fucking Enigma machine!

12 Likes

Oh no! Not INVESTORS!
Guess all the humans he fucked over with price gouging get no accountability.

13 Likes

tenor-5

4 Likes

You know what we all need after the past year and a half of unmitigated bullshit? The person who bought this to just release it into the public domain.

17 Likes

Agree. A medical center is trying to get me to take down my one star Google rating because they charged me 2300 dollars for a COVID test. I said nothing that wasn’t true so hopefully they won’t be able to compel the removal of the truth.

9 Likes

I’d much rather see Shkreli’s internal organs sold off to pay his debts.

But seriously, folks, let’s not forget that this scumbucket is little more than a sacrificial goat for the horrific pharmaceutical industry in general. They threw us Shkreli, hoping this would appease our rage at their life-threatening greed.

10 Likes

This.

Is it even any good?

I know, it’s Wu, but to keep it from general release implies it isn’t very good and they fooled someone into buying a collection of outtakes in a fancy box. Which might be the most genius thing they ever did.

6 Likes

The Emperor’s New Album, indeed.

2 Likes

I believe it was their attempt to highlight piracy, streaming, and the current weak payment system for the work of artists by record companies. It’s supposedly a real album with original works, including guest artists. I’m curious to know, though, if the new buyer has to abide by the restrictions Wu Tang placed on it when they auctioned it off.

2 Likes

To be fair, it was still always a better idea than NFTs.

Yeah, I said it.

6 Likes

Man - this should be a movie plot.

A group of plucky thieves, ala Oceans 11 or The Italian Job break into the government impound lot to steal the Wu-Tang album and release it to the world.

3 Likes

Just the kind of scum who would run for President as a Republican after release. And be welcomed.

5 Likes

only to find it’s not there at all because the corrupt u.s. government has sold it off to a mysterious private buyer in a secret backroom deal that served only to further fill their coffers and did absolutely nothing to actually enforce or enact any sort of accountability to real victims.

that anonymous buyer is revealed to be… martin shkreli himself, who has somehow managed to procure his early release and recover significant assets, proving that the idea of justice is a fiction only invoked to punish those without means or privilege.

but wait, it’s not actually martin shkreli, it’s an incredibly lifelike robot… controlled by jeff bezos, who has funded billions in research to create sentient a.i. just to pull off this mastermind scheme of secretly buying the wu-tang album so he can become the world’s first trillionaire by releasing the tracks as digital-only individually sold streamable drm-protected files. royalty-free.

too far fetched?

Crypto-dildonics?

1 Like