Marvel at this doomed sea-side shanty

Originally published at: Marvel at this doomed sea-side shanty | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Just ties right up to the walking trail at the top I would guess.

2 Likes

trigger warning

how exposed that seat must feel in storms and high seas;

Now there’s a possibly original idea: suicide by sea shack. Modern update on she sells seashells by the sea shore.

2 Likes

What was the long line about halfway in the video? I want to think that’s a single long extension cord but that can’t be right.

1 Like

That is the front walkway.

I’m really curious about whether this is a homeless person’s place, or a retreat for some kids looking for a clandestine place to party?

When I was homeless and rough sleeping, I always felt that maintaining a certain understanding of “how not to be seen” was important to my safety. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

I know it’s unsafe, and basically live-in-refuse, but I desperately want to hang out there and pretend I thought of it!

5 Likes

Lovely view. How much are they asking for it?

4 Likes

already have offers on the table starting at $3.5 million!
not

7 Likes

Ramshackle or not its way better than many of the homeless shanties I’ve come across.

2 Likes

Between the hasty but somehow also overly-sophistocated build, the secluded location and the fitness angle, this is giving me strong Jamie Mantzel vibes. But then I’m always looking for excuses to expose mutants to Jamie Mantzel videos. He’s like if the Primitive Technology guy had ADHD and loved to also build robots and PVC cars for his kids to play in.

1 Like

Yes, as far as doomed ramshackle sea-side shanties go, this one looks surprisingly sound, structurally speaking.

2 Likes

Except…

My experience with driftwood is that it can be extremely brittle and will snap with no warning. I hope the load-bearing members, and there are a lot of them, are made of tougher stuff.

3 Likes

This is Kanye’s place, right?

2 Likes

This.

I was never 100% truly homeless, when I could no longer afford my apartment I moved into an office space I arranged to use as storage with the landlord. It was super cheap, but I made sure to be stealthy-- I woke up early so nobody would bump into me in the hall, and returned at night when everyone went home. I knew that if they discovered I was sleeping there I’d be out on my ass.

This guy is a hero to me. He lived in a hidden underground bunker on Nantucket, and when discovered it didn’t matter because he had other more fancy hidden homes on the island including a treehouse and a weird woven basket-style hut. Unlike the seaside shanty above, his houses are marvels of workmanship.

2 Likes

Hard to believe this is someone’s primary home and that’s way too much work for some kids who just want to party (hoisting a keg down that cliff would be way too much trouble). Seems most likely it’s a retreat built by some eccentric who is really into fitness and the outdoors.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.