Marvel fans react to Pence's new name of Space Force members

I was going to say that Arthur C.Clarke had a short story “The Guardian”, but a check says “The Sentinal”. “Sentinels” would work.

This isn’t Starship Troopers, this is more like Heinlein’s Space Patrol, trying to limit war rather than fight war. As detailed in “Space Cadet” and the short story “The Long Watch”.

5 Likes

Hey, at least it’s not another case of right wing assholes appropriating Tolkien, right?

4 Likes

“Hi, everyone, wait, what did you say??”

6 Likes

Somewhere around here I still have my dad’s Tom Corbett Space Cadet decoder card from c. 1950 or so. So I’m all ready to go!

3 Likes

Are you really surprised at the lack of originality? Hell, they stole their whole schtick from an angry guy in the 1930’s

7 Likes

20 Likes

AIUI, they are using Space Cadet for recruits in training .

3 Likes

Ugh. I’m still hoping that Biden just rolls these guys back into the Air Force and saves the taxpayers some rogers, er, bucks.

13 Likes

I vote for starship troopers

6 Likes
5 Likes

Albert Fitzwilliam Digby of the Interplanet Space Fleet, batman to Colonel Dan Dare of the same, held the rank of Spaceman 1st Class.

(In the course of researching this, I discovered that Dan Dare was a Manc, which has shaken me more than it should.)

3 Likes

It’s funny to read about, but – like “Homeland Security” – it’s another bit of imbecile-fascist flair that future Democratic governments will end up wearing because they’re too busy with real issues to spend political capital on the symbolic bullshit (whereas the reverse is true of Republican administrations).

The thing is, if no one cleans up all these administrative dog turds, you’ll end up with a progressive president trying to broker Middle East peace deals by dispatching the Secretary of White Power on Air Force 88.

26 Likes

Bonus to using this approach: excuse to wear jodhpurs.

ETA: or they could stick with the gendered terminology of the air force/navy and call them “rocketmen,” which REALLY opens things up as far as fabulous costuming opportunities go.

5 Likes

I believe “Sentinel” was one of the proposals. Not only does “Guardian” sound like part of the Marvel franchise, it invites confusion with the US Coast Guard and the National Guard. Especially since there may or may not end up being a Space National Guard to go along with the Air National Guard and the Army National Guard.

2 Likes

Guardians… under the leadership of Commander Keen? Captain Kirk?

C’mon Pence, you’re on a roll. Don’t stop now.

3 Likes

Fickt nicht mit dem Raketemensch!

3 Likes

Star Voyager. I like the sound of that.

@SheiffFatman

Spaceman 1st Class.

Did you say Specimen?

4 Likes

The bulk of what the USSF does isn’t any meaningful expansion of what USAF Spacecom was doing before. I’d be curious to see what the marginal costs of doing it are (they’re certainly some, but I don’t think they’re very big).

1 Like

Embracing the stupid offers a chance for even more absurdity…

Grunt = Groot

Zoomie = Rocket

Full Bird Colonel = Star Lord

etc.

1 Like

Well, at least he didn’t use Space Marine™. I imagine Games Workshop might actually try and sue the government for use of that. /rimshot