Maryland park police put the kibosh on this custom van outfitted with enormous "wall of sound" speaker system

Distinction noted.

PG County is the worst. Indian Head HWY isn’t a major drag race strip for nothing. I’ve almost been killed on that stretch at least three times.

3 Likes

I have come around to thinking that Live/Dead is a great album, but I must admit, the first time I really appreciated it was when I listened to it under the influence of a high fever.

5 Likes

Those speakers don’t appear to have cabinets, just a small area of baffle for each. If they aren’t delayed as sebwiers mentioned there will be lots of comb filtering going on and the dipole design (no cabinet to absorb the back wave) will limit the bass response. The whole assembly will probably rattle and buzz like crazy when turned up too.

4 Likes

i had a much smaller one that took 4 Ds. and they didn’t last that long either!

It’s possible that I’m a jaundiced observer who hates fun and has an atypically intense aversion to intrusive sound; but my impression of these sorts of systems is that they are more ‘vulgar display of power’ than ‘elegant audio engineering’; and that’s seen as a virtue.

1 Like

Yeah, I occasionally go to car shows, and there’s always some asshat, usually out in the parking lot once they get kicked out of the show proper, who insists on “showing off” his car’s sound system. All they seem to care about is volume, not quality, with one guy showing how his system could shred newspapers and break glass as if that was a good thing – while all I could hear a few hundred meters away was buzz, that weird noise cracked surrounds give, and a muddy roar of undifferentiated bass.

2 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.