Maryland professor fired for making at least 11 female students undress and line up for a breast inspection

Originally published at: Maryland professor fired for making at least 11 female students undress and line up for a breast inspection | Boing Boing

5 Likes

WTAF??? My question is, is this the first time this asshole has pulled this shit? I am guessing it is not.

19 Likes

I assume it’s because of [redacted comment]

3 Likes

Outrageous all around. And also :face_vomiting: :rage:

In what subject could that demonstration possibly have any relevance to the course material? :thinking:

(That was rhetorical; we’re better off not trying to answer that question.)

12 Likes

Yeah I started to ask that and then decided there is zero possibility that question has an answer that would explain any of this.

16 Likes

Does the University’s address get put on the state sex offender registry?

9 Likes

Ya beat me to it, Doc.

I hope the fucker gets exposed and actively doxxed; it’s the least he deserves.

14 Likes

My guess- some very wealthy (“old money”) family members.

Alt. hypothesis: cops in the family.

8 Likes

Ewww.

Right next to the Penn State dog fucker.

5 Likes

What the Actual Fuck? I just… I don’t… I can’t…

And the way they phrased it - that it was a “medical assessment” in which exposure wasn’t medically “require[d].” What kind of medical assessment is being done by a teacher as part of a class, at all? I’m assuming the class was something medical, but…

But yeah, you’re right…

10 Likes

The college does offer EMT and Nursing degrees. But if exposure wasn’t medically necessary, then he would have been teaching the wrong technique.

8 Likes

It’s pretty common (ubiquitous even) for healthcare students to take part in physical exams as part of their training, both as subject and examiner. These are done in their underwear or close to it more often than not since skin contact is required for the instruments they use.

That said, there may be more to this than an innocent demonstration, or it could be that the students were making a stink and this firing is just to avoid a more public outcry, despite the prof adhering to a standard demonstration.

This is from “The Moral Majority Handbook,” a parody which appeared in MAD in 1982*.

The reason I thought of this at all is that some Montgomery Co. families are suing over LBGTQ+ topics becoming a required part of the Maryland K-12 curriculum (with no opt-out). For some reason they were going to protest at Montgomery College; perhaps the college is part of the MoCo Public Schools - or it’s where the school board meets? - but no one at the college would be younger than high school age. (Or, they’re worried about what adults think & read.)

Meanwhile there’s actual predatory behavior at Montgomery College, involving a male instructor and female students.

*(I was in 6th grade when I bought this issue and here we are over 40 years later.)

ETA: clarify

13 Likes

10 Likes

Say what now?

This prof was fired, because what he did has been deemed sexual harassment.

Why after all that are you extending him any benefit of the doubt?

13 Likes

I’ll give you one guess…

8 Likes

Why would you say that, dude, you trying to make it worse?

7 Likes

Here’s what the article says:

He then made comments about their bodies. The department said the lesson did not require those comments or the removal of the students’ clothing.

Here’s what the DoE press release says:

OCR’s investigation established that a college professor engaged in sexual harassment of female students during a class he taught by requiring the students to remove their shirts and wear only their bras – and then commenting on their bodies – ostensibly to demonstrate a medical assessment, despite the fact that the assessment did not require the clothing removal, or the bodily commentary.

In response to student reports of the harassment they experienced, including targeted harassment after class from the professor…

I’m compelled to ask: in what kind of fucked-up healthcare school (or, by extension, provider’s office) is this “common (ubiquitous even)?”

13 Likes

The agency said the professor had female students remove their shirts and wear only their bras in the guise of role-playing a medical assessment. He then made comments about their bodies. The department said the lesson did not require those comments or the removal of the students’ clothing.

Stop It Roe V Wade GIF by GIPHY News

14 Likes

A man abuses his power and 11 young women and your defense is “Well, actually, it’s part of the curriculum.”

I sincerely hope you’re not a teacher.

11 Likes