Maryland professor fired for making at least 11 female students undress and line up for a breast inspection

So many responses around the same time…

Party Soccer GIF by Coca-Cola

9 Likes

Or in any position of authority at all, actually.

13 Likes

Holy smokes, I was trying to give some context for commenters asking why a prof would be doing a physical exam of any sort. Not trying to make excuses for this person.
Edit: to clarify I hadn’t read the details in the article, literally just the comments. Apologies.

1 Like

So, instead of reading the article, you automatically defended the guy?

That ain’t better.

11 Likes

Obligs:

10 Likes

Thanks, i guess?

No, actually,

Episode 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

11 Likes

oscars should i read it i dont think i will GIF by The Academy Awards

10 Likes

Clicks GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

5 Likes

no man GIF

It’s not just the instictive defending of the abuser here. It’s this completely inaccurate statement of how physical examination is taught. By the time students are learning the use of instruments that require subjects to be naked, they are doing so on patients under direct supervision of senior physicians and nurses in very small numbers, not in a classroom in front of their peers. That would be completely inappropriate.

13 Likes

Oh, I can’t wait for Doc to see that nonsense.

4 Likes

I promise you it’s true. Nothing sexual about it, it’s clinical. Medicine is a field where you are working up close and personal with human bodies, and there’s no way to escape that. Well, until robots take over

So a prof should work in class up close and personal with 11 women undressed to their bras? (He did worse too. RTFA.)

Again, you’re not helping here. You’re (purposely?) avoiding the topic at hand.

6 Likes

loop dig GIF

6 Likes

I’m not saying anything the prof did was appropriate, it was clearly sexual harassment (I have read the article thank you).
But the fact of physical examinations in medical studies gives context to why he felt he could get away with and for a time did get away with this behaviour.

I’ve taken art classes that involved nude models used in a professional and non-sexual context.

I’ve never taken an art class where students were instructed to strip naked while the professor made running commentary about their bodies.

Not the same fucking thing.

12 Likes

In that he operated under the pretense of it being a medical assessment, as stated in the first sentence, yes. But that’s clearly as far as that goes. The context you are trying to add for this abuse is not helpful; you should have left it at “oops, I didn’t read the article”.

12 Likes

This seems to be yet another downside of the odd practice of letting universities investigate these matters themselves, having administrators act as investigators and judges in cases where they have a big incentive to defend the institution’s reputation- as opposed to any other workplace, where this would have been dealt with by the proper legal system.

8 Likes

It really isn’t. There’s nothing about this scenario that resembles medical or nursing instruction.

7 Likes

Be prepared for lots more of this kind of gross shit, since the conservatives are winning back universities for white men of privilege…

Mike Yard K GIF by The Nightly Show

@Melizmatic jinx!!!

coca cola coke GIF

9 Likes

… but why should we believe you :confused:

6 Likes