Maryland Supreme Court makes it illegal to say which gun shot a bullet in ballistic testimonies

This reminds me of the HBO adaptation of THE STAIRCASE. I was glad to see how they dramatized in court that the blood splatter experts were all contradictory and bullshit but they all genuinely believed what they were saying.

7 Likes

Worked on me! And now I’m reading more deeply about the junk science I was raised by tv crime procedurals to think was infallible. So, click baity headline for the win. :+1:t3:

9 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

2 Likes

I was under the impression that a lot of matching a bullet to a barrel is nonsense. Even more so with modern cold hammer forged barrels which are very smooth and don’t have the same kind of tool marks you would find with cut rifling. I’m all in favor of convicting anyone who misuses a firearm, but I’m not in favor of convicting people based on nonsense.

I’d love to see double-blind procedures introduced into the forensic investigation process. For example, the lab techs could be given multiple bullets and/or multiple guns for each ballistic examination without ever being told which (if any) are suspected to match each other.

If they can’t consistently make an accurate match without knowing what results the investigators are looking for then their expertise is worthless.

7 Likes

Not the way the system is currently set up. David Simon (creator of The Wire) has talked a number of times about the perverse incentives that Police forces have these days, largely as a result of the War on Drugs. The cops who get rewarded with promotions and overtime pay are the ones who make a lot of arrests, and that metric is easiest to meet by snagging folks off the street for posession and dealing, then leaning on those folks to rat out others. In the meantime the clearance rate for solving serious crimes like muders has gone down the toilet because cops have lost the skills and motivation to actually solve real crimes.

12 Likes

My favorite is the part of every drug case where they ask a cop whether the amount of drugs found is a usable amount. As if some random cop who claims never to have used drugs is going to know best.

1 Like

So in Maryland you can’t be convicted because your gun matches the tool marks produced by your gun. If this stands a lot of people are going to be released from prison in Maryland. Carrying the thought further Eye witness testimony isn’t scientifically reliable, Fingerprints aren’t scientifically reliable. Arson investigations aren’t scientifically reliable, handwriting analysis isn’t scientifically reliable…

Just think of the cost savings this twisted tribunal of judges is bringing to their home state. The private prison investors are going to be pissed off big time.

How so?

Using any of that non-scinentific evidence should result in an acquittal following their logic. Jails and prisons should empty out overnight or as fast as the Maryland court system can handle. I’m being facetious here.

It’s true that imperfect sources of evidence are allowed(there not really being any other kind) and that some combination of cross-examining their witnesses and introducing your own is intended to get results from that; but it’s just not the case that there’s a general ‘toss anything in; let the jury decide’ process.

The Maryland rules for expert testimony go into less detail than the (current) federal rule 702, since they appear to have been adopted from the federal one prior to its Daubert elaborations(edit: the court has previously decided that Daubert standard applies for interpreting the rules); but it states that the court determines whether expert testimony is admissible:

Expert testimony may be admitted, in the form of an opinion or otherwise, if the court determines that the testimony will assist the trier of fact to understand the evidence or to determine a fact in issue. In making that determination, the court shall determine

(1) whether the witness is qualified as an expert by knowledge, skill, experience, training, or education,

(2) the appropriateness of the expert testimony on the particular subject, and

(3) whether a sufficient factual basis exists to support the expert testimony.

We just debunked this exact argument upthread. Please don’t make us do it again.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.