Massachusetts man is first human to get genetically modified pig kidney transplant

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/21/massachusetts-man-is-first-human-to-get-genetically-modified-pig-kidney-transplant.html

3 Likes

The procedure is the latest development in a fast-moving race to create genetically modified pigs to provide kidneys, livers, hearts and other organs to help alleviate the shortage of organs for people who need transplants.

Oo make mine a fresh new pork brain! (brrrrains!!! …well for a bit more memory capacity at least)

(deep meta aside: oddsbobs it’s getting harder to find the comment landing associated with a main post these days. actually had to do a text search for ‘kidney’ hurrumph)

1 Like

Good for science, I guess. I imagine religious authorities have probably started having some passionate debates on whether this procedure counts as Kosher/Halal or not?

4 Likes

Well, you aren’t EATING it.

Modern problems call for modern solutions, just create a ritual that cleanses an unclean animal for medial purposes.

Christians do it all the time with communion cleansing the filthiest animal of all.

3 Likes

Very interested to see how this works out. Know nothing about transplants, but this seems it can be quite impactful for many people.

1 Like

Massachusetts man: “Why does my pee smell like bacon?”

But seriously this is great news. I have a relative who is down to one.

3 Likes

Not sure why this is being brought up?

Jimmy Fallon Agree GIF

2 Likes

If this can be made practical and reproducible, it would be absolutely life-changing for so many people. I can see some ethical arguments being brought up, but honestly, if you are willing to slaughter a pig to eat bacon, same procedure (roughly speaking) to harvest organs should be permissible, right? Beats the hell out of doing a real-life Clonus, doesn’t it?

( Parts: The Clonus Horror - Wikipedia for those unfamiliar)

8 Likes

I don’t think there will be any barrier to acceptance of these. We’re already using pig tissue in heart valve surgery, this just scales thing up a bit.

2 Likes

Be careful with what you genetically-modify.

2 Likes

I came for this same hard hitting question.

2 Likes

If someone finds the idea religiously repugnant they can always refuse the transplant and deal with the consequences, unless they are a minor child. In that case I suspect a court appointed guardian would required to save the kids’ life. People refuse blood transfusions fairly often after all.
I would suggest that anyone who did refuse be pulled from the list of donor organ recipients.

1 Like

It’s inside you. You must have eaten it. /s :man_shrugging: :wink:

Soylent Green contains pork! You fools! Don’t you see? It’s not kosher! It’s not halal! It may contain pork products!

Weighing Options Are You Sure GIF

I’m pretty confident that’s a fairly small number of religious sects that have that kind of prohibition… Most people are going to get the life-saving procedure done…

You do know that this is a very new type of procedure here, right? Most transplants are still from humans? I don’t think denying people life-saving care because they might have some reservations is the right call.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.