Massive brawl in Parliament of Uganda includes impressive chair-catching

“SORRY 'BOUT THAT
This video is not available from your location.”

#ForeignDevil

2 Likes

I have a gut feeling some of the same villians would still remain on top, due to their cruelty. Poison darts squirreled away, little canisters of nerve gas to be used at the appropriate time, etc. Orrin Hatch and Mitch McConnell may seem frail, but they’re damned ruthless.

4 Likes

I noticed that too. Most dignified moment in the video.

There certainly are mornings I feel like I’ve been hit on the head with a chair by an Ugandan MP

3 Likes

“Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance.”

Still, I see some young blood moving in :wink:

3 Likes

“Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!”

When that dude caught the chair I almost expected him to rip it in half like the Hulk.

2 Likes

Was that the name of the drink at the bar I went to last night? I knew I should’ve gone with a gin & tonic…

3 Likes

Given our rapid descent into post factual reality TV govertainment, that man gets my vote in 2020.

2 Likes

For the record, and FWIW, Bill Gates loves Uganda’s president.

Did nobody try to use the mace in the brawl?

Heseltine was Shadow Industry Secretary throughout the Conservative’s 1974–79 time in opposition gaining notoriety following a 1976 incident in the House of Commons during the debate on measures introduced by the Labour government to nationalise the shipbuilding and aerospace industries. In the days before television’s broadcasting of proceedings in Parliament, accounts of exactly what happened vary but the most vivid image portrayed Heseltine seizing the Mace and brandishing it towards Labour left-wingers who were celebrating having won the vote and singing The Red Flag. The Speaker suspended the sitting.

As @L0ki points out, Hansard didn’t report on it much.

HC Deb 27 May 1976 vol 912 cc767-8

Motion made, and Question proposed, That this House do now adjourn.—[Mr. John Ellis.]

Grave disorder having arisen in the House, Mr. SPEAKER, pursuant to Standing Order No. 26 (Power of Mr, Speaker to adjourn House or suspend sitting), suspended the sitting for 20 minutes.

Sitting suspended at 10.34 p.m.

10.54 p.m.
Mr. Speaker resumed the Chair.

Mr. Speaker:
Order. There have been scenes of grave disorder here tonight. I adjourn the House, without Question put, until tomorrow.

Adjourned at six minutes to Eleven o’clock without Question put.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.