Massive cruise ship sliced in half to embiggen it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/23/massive-cruise-ship-sliced-in.html

7 Likes

Any engineering aficionados care to calculate what additional loads the extension will put on the hull and how safe doing such an operation really is?

4 Likes

Somewhere, Wes Anderson has the weirdest boner. (me too, to be honest. I fucking love a good cutaway…)

17 Likes

enzyte%20guy

2 Likes
7 Likes

Shouldn’t the term be ‘more bigly’ instead of embiggen?

2 Likes

“Dangit, kid—we keep telling you, we split it in half on purpose!

27 Likes

They are kind of built in big modules, so maybe, but… there is a tiny voice that says “remember the name of that ship and never set foot on her” But if it squeezes another nickel of profit by gum they’ll do it!

4 Likes

They’re probably built in sections anyway. I suspect that it’s just a case of inserting another section.

There shouldn’t be much in the way of bending moments on a properly loaded boat.

6 Likes

Maybe they forgot to put in the section when they first built it.

5 Likes

That’s a helluva way to drain the top deck pool.

3 Likes

This is kinda cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I51m3AI6hyA and shows how modular they are.

5 Likes

I’m kinda picturing this…

25 Likes

“That which does not sink you makes you larger.”

13 Likes

I was goin to make a snarky comment, but then I remembered that I have absolutely no engineering experience.

13 Likes

so that they can inset a 15 meter (50 feet) extension and increase the ship’s capacity by 15 percent.

Coincidentally, I’m experiencing a 15% increase in my desire to never set foot on a cruise ship.

12 Likes

I’m in the same boat (pun intended); at some point years from now, there will be a news headline about a boat cracking in half in a storm, hundreds drowning, and I’ll say quietly to myself “wait, wasn’t that the ship they did the thing with the thing, once?”

7 Likes

Paging Liu Cixin.

3 Likes

By then, they’ll have changed the name many times.

e.g. Oriental Nicety, formerly Exxon Valdez, Exxon Mediterranean, SeaRiver Mediterranean, S/R Mediterranean, Mediterranean, and Dong Fang Ocean

6 Likes

This is going to end well

4 Likes