Massive cruise ship sliced in half to embiggen it

A Supposedly Fun Thing They’ll Never Do Again.

3 Likes

I’m not sure why but this makes me very anxious!

I understood this wasn’t exactly a “rarely performed feat” in the sense of trailblazing a new technique - that there are dozens of shipyards around the world that specialize in this very operation.

“Rarely performed” in the sense that there are comparatively few cruise ships in existence and the market for their embiggening is similarly limited, as compared to the worldwide number of limousines manufactured and the market for hypergonadal versions of same.

14 Likes

That was neat. I wonder why they move it to a new slip before finishing it. Are different slips set up for different parts of the process?

Would have liked to see the rest of the process.

1 Like

I want to see the scissors used for the cut !! wow.

1 Like

A different ship a few years back.

15 Likes

Hopefully not the same engineering firm that worked on that pedestrian footbridge in Florida.

1 Like

I remembered seeing this a few years ago; I don’t think this process is actually all that rare.

I would have sworn that I saw it on Boing Boing last time too, but a perfunctory search for “cruise ship” doesn’t turn up any old hits. Maybe what I saw last time was some other type of ship? Don’t have the bandwidth to hunt it down right now.

3 Likes

I wish I had a job where I could say “What if we cut it in half and stuck more ship in the middle?” and people said “What a great idea, sir! We’ll look into that right away”.

10 Likes

I wonder if a really talented veterinarian could make a longer wiener dog by cutting one in half and sticking some more wiener dog in the middle.

7 Likes

You may have seen it here back in January:

1 Like

The dog is big enough!

5 Likes

Is that a yugo?

That seems like a crazy amount of effort just to insert a 50 foot section.

3 Likes

fiat panda.

3 Likes

Ah! Thank you!

They are exactly built in sections. Usually back to front. But this has been done before- Royal Caribbean’s Enchantment of the Seas was stretched in 2005, running without a problem ever since.

2 Likes

Oh, sure…you do it to a ship and it gets named Enchantment of the Seas…but if you do it to a mobile home, it gets named Double Wide.

8 Likes

Big deal, my parent had a dinner table that could do this.

20 Likes

And middle badly.

The ends are indeed well, but the middle is feeling a little hollow right now.

As ever, the question is: will the centre hold? (Or even, will the centre hold, hold?)

I will now retrieve my outer weather protection garment.

5 Likes