Massive study finds strong correlation between "early affluence" and "faster cognitive drop" in old age

Well, for the time being I can, anyways.

Does it make a difference whether you’re watching Corrie or Eastenders?

Oh, maybe it does:

Really? Cognitive stress? What about the memory boosting effects of having to remember what Tracey said to Ken about Gail just before Sharon punched Phil in the Woolpack?

1 Like

So it’s bad to watch too much TV and, if you do watch, it’s bad to watch anything stressful.
Right.
I’ll just stop watching the hour or so of news I view most days, then.
Fortunately, I have never identified (not even remotely, let alone closely) with any soap characters, so it’s Midsomer Murders and Horizon only for me from now on…:wink:

1 Like

I don’t want to know what Prof Steptoe (yeah right, like that’s his real name, obvious alias is obvious :slight_smile: ) thinks about what happens to the brains of people who watch Love Island or TOWIE religiously.

1 Like

Roger That!

(Except nothing happens. They have no brains.)

I’m dropping my cognitive faculties right now.

3 Likes

This is the best study. Bigly good. Huge.

I’ve had significant disfluency nearly as long as I can remember. The idea that verbal fluency is a mirror of cognitive function is pretty bizarre. Admittedly, cognitive impairments can also impair fluency, but there are surely many causes of disfluency that have next to no impact on cognition.

I’d most likely score badly on such a test, if only because one part of my mind would be trying to run through the list of phyla and classes that I can remember, to make sure that they were all represented. (Maybe even the orders for the more familiar phyla.) And I’d start feeling the compulsion to go back and edit the list - likely in the middle of a word. I’d be enumerating flatworms, roundworms, nematodes, and oh $LC_DEITY I forgot brachio- and what were the orders of insects again? Coleoptera, hymenoptera, lepidoptera, aptera, dipte- wait, where was I? Worms?

Whatever that disfluency is, it’s not a cognitive impairment, exactly, quite.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.