Matt Furie celebrated yesterday's Free Comic Book Day by killing off Pepe the Frog

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/07/feels-good-man.html

4 Likes

I really feel for Furie – it’s hard to imagine a shittier fate for one’s lovable creation that for it to be transformed into a symbol used by the worst people on the internet to harass and terrorize people.

Emphasis mine.

Living in Berkeley, I can tell you most emphatically that they are not just “on the internet”. These Nazis have decided to make an example of Berkeley, and have gathered in the park a few blocks from my house several times in the past weeks. They come from far and wide to spew hate and provoke confrontation. They come armed and hoping they get a chance to use their weapons.

So I’d say they’re the worst people “off the internet” too.

38 Likes

“Free Comic Book Day” and no comic attached…
There it is.

Also:
“Pepe the Frog: To Sleep, Perchance to Meme” from 2016
"Pepe: An Explainer", two month ago. NSFW!

10 Likes

R. Crumb killed off Fritz the Cat in a similar fashion but that was in response to his creation being appropriated by corporate interests (and bad movie adaptations) rather than literal fascists.

13 Likes

I think he reads Boing Boing.

12 Likes

Right? Thanks for the link; that was really frustrating.

2 Likes

Sounds like it’s time for the Berkeley PD to head to your local park and do some spontaneous “search and frisk” searches on the basis of a complaint of a concealed weapons charge.

Or are the Berkeley PD alt-right sympathizers?

4 Likes

BPD established a perimeter around the park and confiscated a lot of crap. Even the white supremacist jerks weren’t stupid enough to show up with firearms. But there was a lot of pepper spray and “flag poles” and other borderline stuff.

3 Likes

I wonder what alt-right yell at the police if they take away their flagpoles, “Fascist!”?

4 Likes

The reason why Pepe had to die?

It’s so that Macron could eat Pepe’s legs for his celebration dinner

2 Likes
  1. Pepe dies
  2. LePen loses
    Is ‘Kek magick’ now inefficient??

3 Likes

Perhaps, but I wouldn’t expect anything less than absurdity from the alt-right.

1 Like

The English Defence League?

1 Like

The neo-nazis?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.