Matt Gaetz votes no on making insulin affordable because, he says, people should just lose weight

Since 2000, the number of diabetes cases in the U.S. has nearly doubled. The demand for insulin has increased and the requisite price increase has followed suit. In other words, the price of insulin increases as waistlines increase.
But remember, they think pure unhindered capitalism is the best thing for us. So shouldn’t companies be flocking to make insulin and rake in some of that sweet blood-sugar money?

9 Likes

The optimist in me is thinking something on the lines of David Carradine in a Bangkok hotel room.

5 Likes

Hey! I resemble that remark.

Signed, hat size (at least) 8.

2 Likes

I was just reading that COVID-19 raises the chance of developing diabetes, so is he now in conflict with the vaccine denying public (the majority of which are Republicans) who acquired diabetes that way?

“… that equates to 1 in 100 people at increased risk. As almost 80 million Americans have been infected with Covid, that could mean nearly 800,000 are now more likely to get diabetes.”

7 Likes

He’s totally on board with Big Pharma, though. :moneybag:
ETA: Cruelty’s not the only point, they figure there are bonus points for profit.

9 Likes

what private idaho does he live in where industry controls to benefit the population leads to serfdom? Perhaps what he is concerned about is the serfdom of corporate america.

6 Likes

Tell me you are an idiot who lacks the most basic understanding of the issue under debate, without saying it. A type 1 diabetic can lose all the weight they want and never, ever be less of an insulin dependent diabetic. He just enjoys hurting people. Asshole.

19 Likes

There, FTFY. Maybe we could get Farmer Nunes to do it livestock style; he’s not very busy with truth social.
awfulhorrid

dabeyc

4h

Direct current or alternating?

Square waves with spikes and ringing.

6 Likes

Congratulations on having a goal and completing some half marathons. You should be able to achieve the full marathon, it’s now just about learning to control your fueling, which basically comes down to eating a little bit often.

What works for me is setting a temp basal rate of 5-10% of normal starting about 15 mins before the event and eating a small amount throughout, I suggest trying a gel every half hour starting 15 mins before the event.

Once you have got your first long distance under your belt, you can work on tweaking the settings to get the best technique for you.

But don’t rely on the pump doing all the changes for you, interstitial testing is 15-20 mins delayed and food takes a bit of time to process so you need to be fueling before your pump/meter tells you that you are low.

All the best with the experimentation and hope you can find something that works for you.

11 Likes

That’s certainly possible, too - the guy is a fucking Nazi. (And I mean that fairly literally, given that he showed up for a state of the union with a famous holocaust denier as a guest…)

10 Likes

No matter how wrong he is on the science, 50 bucks says he owns stock in Coca-Cola.

12 Likes

" *The demand for insulin has increased and the requisite price increase has followed suit. In other words, the price of insulin increases as waistlines increase."

That would be true if insulin was a finite resource. However, the pharma companies can just make more. They have the facilities and it falls right under the treasured paradigm of scalability. The cost of insulin has been an issue for quite some time - mainly due to greed and this country’s inability to understand that unfettered capitalism is ultimately destructive and dehumanizing. Economies should be for people - people should not be fodder for the economy.

Here are a couple of points from an article covering the proposed legislation.

"At that time (2020), the U.S. paid $98.70 per standard unit of insulin, while other countries like Canada, Australia and the U.K. all spent less than $15 per unit.

Most higher-income countries set price controls for pharmaceuticals, ensuring the cost of patented drugs doesn’t become out-of-reach for consumers. However, the U.S currently has no regulations on drug pricing, meaning manufacturers are able to set any price they choose."

"Insulin was first discovered by researchers at the University of Toronto in 1921, and has not been significantly improved in the past 100 years.

The patent was sold to the University of Toronto for a dollar in the hopes that it would be made widely available for patients in need."

14 Likes

“the price of insulin increases as waistlines increase,”

That’s not how economies work, unless you work for DeBeers, which the insulin cartel is starting to resemble.

5 Likes

I’ve told my partner that I can’t possibly be the only long distance runner with an insulin pump, although I can certainly be the only one getting care through my endocrinologist!

Endo started me out with a similar basal rate but changing to it about an hour before I start. That helped, but it still wasn’t enough reduction! My best result so far has been where my pump was completely off for two hours before the run. This wasn’t intentional, but it’s the first time in almost a year where I didn’t end an hour of running due to low blood sugar! (It’s still a balance, as I had an issue afterwards since I need better data about when to resume the rate and how much.)

Making this applicable to the article in question, the point is there’s rarely one size fits all for diabetes or really any other chronic condition.

Thank you, I think I will get there. It’s absolutely getting better, just taking a while!

7 Likes

So, tell us, Pedo Boy, just how do you propose to make that happen?
I thought the FDC is against freedom-limiting Mandates by the Government.
IOWYAF, I suppose.

Your owners in Big Pharma are paying you to keep those profits up, regardless of demand, so tell us another one.

Ah, a twofer!

‘Can be’ isn’t the same as ‘will be’… and if it is merely delayed, there will still be a need for insulin by those with type 2, not to mention those with type 1.

I would bet money that Gaetz is in both those groups that Cawthorn mentioned the other day.

Practice.

If by ‘chemical’ you mean ‘rabid wolverine’…

Somebody bring a keg, so we can put him out [after proper filtration of the beer, first, of course] in order to research the best method of ignition.

I think tightening it sufficiently will give faster & more satisfying results.

3 Likes

When he moves to a state where the judges don’t agree with him.

3 Likes

The GQP sure love to tout small government, unless it involves women, children, the elderly and the ill. Other than that…

8 Likes

Pregnant women get gestational diabetes AND they gain weight and their waists get larger. What’s he going to do about that?

10 Likes

To be clear, they like small government when it comes to helping the aforesaid groups. Harming them is a different issue.

7 Likes

Pretty sure Matt would be a ok with a 100% maternal morality rate.

4 Likes