Matt Gaetz votes no on making insulin affordable because, he says, people should just lose weight

My son has Type I diabetes mellitus, which is an auto-immune disease that attacks his pancreas and kills off the cells that produce insulin. It has nothing to do with a person’s weight or lifestyle. You either get the disease, or you don’t. Without insulin from a vial, he would die. Close to 2 million people in the US have Type I. While insurance is pretty good at paying for his blood sugar meter, the several strips he has to use everyday and his syringes, insulin is poorly covered. Some people with poor or no insurance actually ration their insulin, which leads to an increased chance of complications such as blindness or kidney disease. It’s an awful disease that one has to deal with constantly.

Gaetz is an asshole.

15 Likes

This person needs to know more about diabetes and why it occurs. Not all fat people have diabetes and not all thin people are free from diabetes.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.