Matters of opinion on Boing Boing BBS

The BBS is not Quora, nor is it Wikipedia. The same holds true for Boing Boing proper. Statements made here are opinions.

Recently, there have been several users attempting to rebut those opinions with literal statements that a comment is just your personal opinion.

To be clear, that is a given here. There is no need to post to that effect. Opinions that do not violate our community guidelines or espouse dangerous misinformation (“Drinking bleach will cure you” / “vaccines do more harm than good”) are welcome here. Pointing out that these opinions are opinions is redundant, unnecessary, and offtopic. Please don’t do that.

Thanks.

20 Likes

OH YEAH? well that’s just your, um, :thinking:

28 Likes

Whether a bird flies or not is just a matter of a pinion.

14 Likes

Insert the Dude meme here.

And thanks @orenwolf!

5 Likes

I might find that funny if someone wasn’t attempting to use the phrase as a passive aggressive harassment tactic.

14 Likes

It is that sometimes. Sometimes as well, someone running out of argumentative steam.

1 Like

But I would like to point out how much more opinion-y my opinions are than everyone else’s opinions.

Mine are like water droplets frozen into a crystalline structure …

1 Like

Serious question. Is this considered bad form then? Because I and others have used this on more than one occasion.

giphy

6 Likes

As with all things, context is everything. There are very few cases where pointing out water is wet, the sky is blue, or your opinion is your opinion is relevant. But there are almost always exceptions.

13 Likes

I just am not one to argue about a difference of opinion. I will and have argued “that’s not what I said/that’s not my opinion “

I do however love that gif as a nod to “sure. Think as you like”.

2 Likes

I HAVE WELL-RESEARCHED FACTS!

(you have opinions.)

4 Likes

No, I meant like tracking a person from topic to topic and replying to them with the same comment ad nauseum, without adding anything else to the conversation.

11 Likes

ooohhh ahhhh. I see.

If sea lioning isn’t part of the prohibited conduct here already, it probably should be. Just saying.

5 Likes

Is it ever appropriate to say, “Opinions are like assholes, go fuck yourself?” (AFAF)

1 Like

The problem with labelling questions as such is that we don’t want to discourage folks with legitimate questions and opinions from posting. This is why we ask folks to assume good faith and flag instead if a user seems to be acting in bad faith instead. We can look at the preponderance of posts to form a more nuanced picture.

9 Likes

13 Likes

8 Likes

Well I’ve got me here some alternative facts. Draw, pardner…

2 Likes

Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your facts, man.

2 Likes