Max Von Sydow, 1929-2020

9 Likes

The range of expressions and emotions he showed, the vibrancy of his delivery – it was such a fantastic contrast against the almost-wooden look of the others in that scene. The man was a real artist.

7 Likes

He really managed to cover almost all genres of movies. No typecasting for Von Sydow.

4 Likes

18 Likes

Sorry - can’t help myself…

6 Likes

That was freaking incredible. What an actor.

3 Likes

5 Likes

So many great roles, but to me and my childhood friends, he will always be remembered -with great fondness- as Brewmeister Smith.

5 Likes

“Max von Sydow is in the movie three minutes and he nails it.”

4 Likes

Have you ever seen the extended version? (It plays better as a miniseries than a single showing)

I have the soundtrack to the movie. It turns out most of the songs there weren’t in the feature length version.

2 Likes

Not yet - I’m hoping to at some point now that the directors cut is available. Being among my personal all time favorites, it’s always perplexed me that it’s not more widely known, (possibly to do with the duration I’d guess). I wonder if Sydow gets more screentime in the extended form?

I love that bit about how Wenders asked the musicians to submit the music that they thought they’d be making ten years in the future.

2 Likes

It got next to no release in the US at the time. I found out about the film largely by accident. I picked up the VHS of the theatrical cut as part of a discount clearance at the local video store adjacent to my college campus. I saw the cast and thought it looked interesting. This was surprising because I am a fan of SF and I loved Wenders’s “Wings of Desire”. But I had never heard of the movie before.

Von Sydow gets a lot more screen time in the extended form. Like I said, it plays more like a TV miniseries than a really long movie and it makes sense to watch it like one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.