Maybe the coronavirus emanated from a China research lab after all, say US and UK intelligence

If it did escape from a lab, then maybe the people running the lab know more about it and what its origins actually are. Any info is helpful right now. Whether this whole idea has any basis in truth… shrug.

2 Likes

I said “economy”, not “bomber power”.

So… a research lab might have accidentally released something that naturally exists in the area.

9 Likes

Well, there’s no better way to get us out of recession (or distract from it, at least) than starting a war. I wonder when Iran’s part in all this will get mentioned…

7 Likes

Except that this isn’t anthrax or anything persistent that can drift in the breeze. The only way it could escape is via an infected human. If anyone at the lab came down with serious symptoms, you’d think that they’d connect the dots. (Unless everyone who got it just happened to be asymptomatic.)

10 Likes

Wow that’s a wild story I’d love to read more can you provide a source?

4 Likes

Infected person could infect their family before showing symptoms, and by the time their symptoms appeared it would be so widespread that it would not be obvious the source was the lab.

3 Likes

Once upon a time, the United States had an intelligence community that crawled up just about every ass on the planet in search of information. Nowadays, for better or worse, we often find ourselves navigating without a map.

I find this speculation quite infuriating.

4 Likes

A quick search turns up:
https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/

Don’t buy China’s story: The coronavirus may have leaked
from a lab

It sure sounds like China has a problem keeping dangerous pathogens in test tubes where they belong, doesn’t it? And just how many “microbiology labs” are there in China that handle “advanced viruses like the novel coronavirus”?

Note the date–well before His Flatulence started the “Chinese Virus” crusade. As for other releases:

https://thebulletin.org/2014/03/threatened-pandemics-and-laboratory-escapes-self-fulfilling-prophecies/

Threatened pandemics and laboratory escapes: Self-fulfilling
prophecies - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists

Threatened pandemics and laboratory escapes: Self-fulfilling prophecies By Martin Furmanski , March 31, 2014 The public health danger from the escape, from laboratories, of viruses capable of causing pandemics has become the subject of considerable, well-merited
discussion, spurred by “gain of function” experiments.

Four SARS releases from the same lab in Beijing. China has a problem with labs.

5 Likes

The problem was caused by those warning us of the problem…
Let’s just keep running with that premise until we gouge our own eyes out.

The lab in Wuhan was advertising for a researcher in Nov 2019 and for a second one in Dec. They were looking into corona virus transmission from bats to humans and planned to collect bats from a cave elsewhere for their research. When they went off to gather bats they also tested local villagers and found that many had previous exposure to corona viruses.

This video is by a person who lived in China for 12 years and only recently moved back to the US. He found the job postings online for the above positions. He also notes that the wet market that was the alleged epicenter of the virus is only about 150 meters from the lab.

The researchers did not need to be selling bats at the wet market. They only needed to become infected themselves for whatever reason (negligence or improper procedures) and then go shopping for food at the market on their way home.

6 Likes

I wish I could give this comment 47,000,000 more hearts. This seems like the kind of thing BB usually abhors (or at least that I have paid attention to: I don’t read cat posts).

2 Likes

THIS IS INFURIATING! Listen to the scientists.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

Theories of SARS-CoV-2 origins

It is improbable that SARS-CoV-2 emerged through laboratory manipulation of a related SARS-CoV-like coronavirus. As noted above, the RBD of SARS-CoV-2 is optimized for binding to human ACE2 with an efficient solution different from those previously predicted7,11. Furthermore, if genetic manipulation had been performed, one of the several reverse-genetic systems available for betacoronaviruses would probably have been used19. However, the genetic data irrefutably show that SARS-CoV-2 is not derived from any previously used virus backbone20. Instead, we propose two scenarios that can plausibly explain the origin of SARS-CoV-2: (i) natural selection in an animal host before zoonotic transfer; and (ii) natural selection in humans following zoonotic transfer. We also discuss whether selection during passage could have given rise to SARS-CoV-2.

14 Likes

And clickbait! Don’t forget clickbait!

4 Likes

For real? You notice what they do to folks who like umbrellas and laws that preserve freedom from extradition to trial free camps?

You think our current disaster of a president would NEVER set up a bio “wall” against his own “bad hombes?” The corrupted elite would never be bad?

Ahhh, permafrost.

3 Likes

I don’t think they’d pick Wuhan, they’d have picked Xinjiang.

I am extremely aware on the situation in China, having worked on censorship circumvention software and interacted with real dissidents (not just people fauxtesting on Twitter)

There’s a lot of people between Trump and a virus, and there’s zero evidence Trump released Corona so not sure what you’re on about

4 Likes

so… even if this were true, how exactly would failure to prevent something like this being caused by a foreign government be better for the Trump administration than failing to deal properly with a natural epidemic? isn’t being caught off guard by people you claim you’re keeping a close eye on even worse? am i missing something?

and really… 26,000 Americans are still dead, and that many definitely did not have to die. i don’t really give a fuck where it came from (beyond the scientific value of such understanding, of course). what i do care about are the people who let all those deaths happen, through their own buffoonish incompetence.

2 Likes

Then how come I, along with most of the rest of the world outside the US and UK, knew the intelligence was made up BEFORE you went into Iraq and we protested the war accordingly? The Iraqi source that was given to you by our (German) intelligence service was delivered with an EXPLICIT note saying his intelligence couldn’t be trusted. The administration ignored that on purpose because they needed an excuse.

I remember how Powell’s WMD truck presentation was mocked on the night he gave it. This isn’t hindsight about the noble Bush administration being misled. We (i.e. those of us outside the propaganda bubble) all knew it was BS from the get go.

9 Likes

You are. Currently the reputation of the US as a superpower and a world leader, already heavily damaged during Bush and then seriously under Trump, is taking a nosedive. China is winning the propaganda war with deliveries of supplies and even doctors to stricken regions across Europe and the world. Making them out to be the bad guy (whether true or not) is a desperate attempt to salvage the US’s status in the eyes of the world. Not that Trump cares about that, so it must have been dreamed up by someone slightly more sane in the administration.

1 Like