Mayor of Stockton, CA detained by DHS at SFO, forced to give up laptop password

Either I’m free to go, or I’m being detained or arrested. Which is it?

(Wash, lather, rinse, repeat. If it lands you in a cell then you’re on the record doing the right thing.)

4 Likes

“There is no ‘record.’ But we still don’t have the passwords. You can walk out of here at any time, as soon as you give us those passwords and get us into those devices.”

I have nothing more to say until you answer that question.

ETA - This has gone on long enough…I have nothing more to say until my counsel arrives.

[17 hours later…] So, how about those passwords?

They don’t know you’re here.

Being willing (to STFU) is the hardest part. That’s on me I guess.

ETA - And I think I just won!

Yeah, it’s tough. (I’m out of character now…fyi) I’d be way more inclined not to even get into a pissing match and have devices I can either throw away or have one with no password and they can freely get into it… but there’s nothing of importance on it. Easier just not to have the device. This is what networks are for. When I went to China, I had my VPN and no pw on my tablet. I was, frankly, more worried about the Chinese border guards than the USA’s. I should not even have had my VPN and just skipped it, too. I didn’t really need it, but I wanted to try bustin through the Great Firewall from the middle of Tiananmen Square… which was fun.

No, I think those guys are perfectly willing to hand off shifts and go home. You could be there for a loooooong time, getting very thirsty and have to pee.

1 Like

At that point you’re at their mercy and it’s all the same. You can win slow or lose fast. It really is that simple a choice.

Pretty much it’s like Blackjack… you’d have to realllllllly want to stand your ground for a good reason. I say, maintain liberty and don’t take sensitive data or personal data across borders. Let the networks do the heavy lifting and leave as much of it at home as you can.

2 Likes

Amen! But call the shitters on the shit, is all I’m saying.

No calls.

2 Likes

You don’t need a phone to spit in their eye.

If you have the intestinal fortitude, by all means. Just also please don’t think poorly on someone like me with 3 kids and lots of other shit going on, who’d just go, you want my password? Sure, here it is Phukk0ph4zzh013z… no wait, my real password is… and then just give it to them. I’d do it in a hot second. But I also won’t have anything that I care about whatsoever on that device, hidden, in the open, or somehow linked onto it. It would be purely a workhorse device that I’d just as soon throw in the garbage.

1 Like

I guess I’m tilting at windmills.

No tilting. Sit up straight. The passwords, please.

What have I got in my pocketses?

1 Like

Me again. Lather, rinse, repeat like I said.

That isn’t the password. We tried it. Are there any capital letters?

4 Likes

Try 3s instead of Es?

3 Likes

Then I sit. If I don’t show up, my spouse is going to call a lawyer, or work’s legal counsel if this was a work trip, and I know some good lawyers. My wife (who usually travels with me but not always) is an engineer as well. She knows what’s up here.

I’m not giving anyone access to anything without a lawyer of mine standing there and telling me that I need to do so. Period.

2 Likes

Are you making this up or have you spoken to people who have gone through this? This “theoretical” thing has happened to friends of mine. The end result is eventually you get to talk to someone because they aren’t going to hold a citizen forever.