McDonald's advises hungry, sick employees to get welfare benefits

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

Um, er, wait, what?

4 Likes

It is nearly Halloween after all.

Iā€™m not sure I actually see any trolls here. Iā€™ve seen little indication that anyone is making arguments just to get a rise out of someone. grimlokiā€™s comments come pretty close but Iā€™m pretty sure s/he is serious.

How does someone whoā€™s seen what youā€™ve undoubtedly seen square their beliefs with the horrible things that can happen to people out of the blue?!? Particularly in a nation like yours that is so intent on dismantling any and all social safety nets.

11 Likes

Well, yeah, hand the poor huddled masses overā€¦ who else is going to mow the lawns, do the dishes, watch the kids, clean hotel rooms, clean restaurant tables, work retail/fast food, build the houses, etc and so on? Duh.

2 Likes

I found the source for McDonaldā€™s employee policies

2 Likes

The problem is that poor people are too generous ( http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2009253657_charity23.html ):

The Bureau of Labor Statisticsā€™ latest survey of consumer expenditure found that the poorest fifth of U.S. households contributed an average of 4.3 percent of their incomes to charitable organizations in 2007. The richest fifth gave at less than half that rate, 2.1 percent.

They should be more like rich people.

1 Like

Iā€™m not a fan of spaying and neutering anyone. I have faith in birth control.

I donā€™t think people bring children into their poverty stricken life, generallyā€¦ but its easy to bring yourself into poverty by having kids.

The federal poverty line (which is ridiculously low) is $11,600 for a single person. Its $19,000 for a family of three. A 40 hour a week job at $8.25 an hour pays $17,160 a year.

Kids are very VERY expensive, and you shouldnā€™t have them unless you can afford them, because when you canā€™t provide for them, they go hungry, and have poor outcomes throughout life.

Absolutist normative statements like ā€œDonā€™t have kids if you canā€™t afford itā€ are bound to draw ire from somebody.

Me, Iā€™m in disbelief.

2 Likes

Unless you get a sweet TV deal like the Duggars and their clown-car uterus.

2 Likes

Absolutist normative statements like ā€œDonā€™t have kids if you canā€™t afford itā€ are bound to draw ire from somebody.

That and general douchebaggery.

1 Like

Oh come on. Anyone can buy shares in McDonalds and make themselves meeelions. Anyone.

4 Likes

I was thinking in context of the environment today, that maybe this is simply a nasal spray ad or slogan.

1 Like

Yeah, remember Romney who bragged that his son started his own businessā€¦by, you know, getting money from his father. Why donā€™t these people have rich fathers?

9 Likes

So should only rich people with deep pockets have kids? Much of the modern middle class is in a very marginal position, should they abstain as well as the poor?

Look, I get what youā€™re saying hereā€“people should make responsible, well-informed decisions. But frankly, you are talking about human beings here. Weā€™re not exactly known for logic and rationality, despite whatever enlightenment propaganda says differently. Saying that people should only have kids when they are completely readyā€¦ well, I think that means no one would ever have kids, because you canā€™t every be completely ready for thatā€¦ No matter how financially prepared you might be.

And, I think much needs to change before birth control is a widely accepted part of life in the USā€¦ sadly.

5 Likes

How does someone whoā€™s seen what youā€™ve undoubtedly seen square their beliefs with the horrible things that can happen to people out of the blue?!?

You must have missed the part where he said heā€™s a libertarian.

They have a mental block particularity when it comes to externalities. I honestly think itā€™s often based upon a certain brain disorder, but I digress.

4 Likes

Your alliteration within remonstration deserves commendation.

7 Likes

Iā€™m also a social libertarian

Shocking.

Youā€™re hired for my completely imaginary ad agency!

1 Like

I was channeling some Jesse Jackson, I think. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Itā€™s not that Iā€™m comfortable with the shitty invective, but rather that I donā€™t think calling them on it would do any good, and I suspected doing it to you might.