McDonald's in Austria will help US citizens contact US embassy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/15/mcdonalds-in-austria-will-he.html

2 Likes

hamberders…

7 Likes

I had a McDonald’s burger in Gmunden. It was better than a US hamberder. It wasn’t good, just better than the US one. It was dry, but it had arugula on it. My Austrian sister-in-law loves McDonald’s coffee. It makes me sad. When we were in Vienna, my wife kept trying to see the coffee shops of her youth. They were almost all Starbucks now.

8 Likes

The New East India Trading Company. Iran will be destroyed by vessels bearing letters of marque.

2 Likes

Because McDonald’s is basically an American embassy already?

2 Likes

Only to 'muricans afraid to eat local food.

3 Likes
1 Like

So, um, what’s going on in Austria?

(Please tell me some confused man-children in khakis are getting their asses kicked for thinking herr Fuhrer’s motherland would welcome them.)

1 Like

A bit of tucker & legal advice.

Tucker in Australian means food and bush tucker is a huge variety of spices, fruits, vegetables, animals, etc. that are native to Australia .

2 Likes

OK, but what’s Tucker mean in Austria?

7 Likes

Ha Ha Ha, I need new reading glasses.

7 Likes

Personally, I’d prefer Mr. Lee’s Greater Hong Kong for my franculate-related needs (as I recall, the First Distributed Republic doesn’t have brick-and-mortar locations, plus I’m always up for a fun-loving hijink).

6 Likes

This reminds me of American Express back in the 1960s. They could help you with traveler’s checks, change money, had contacts with the local US embassy and would serve as a mailing address, and all you had to do was buy a few traveler’s checks. They charged a bit more than Cook, but if you even had a check stub, you’d get added services.

This was before the rise of credit cards, cell phones, e-mail and all those other things that make international travel so much easier these days.

3 Likes

FYI here’s a handy contact link list of every US Embassy, Consulate and Mission around the world.

Add it to your contact list on your phone.

4 Likes

US American companies:
“Trust us! We don’t spy on you for our glorious homeland!”
makes deal with US government to serve as embassy
“Btw Huawei - totally bad 'mkay”

1 Like

Arugula? Fancy!

The McDonald’s hamberder I had in Vienna was pretty much the same as the American version. My friend ordered something called a “McCountry” and was disappointed when it turned out to be pretty much a breakfast sausage patty on a bun. But unlike McDs in the US they had beer so it was all good in the end.

2 Likes

There are 194 McDonald’s in Austria? U-S-A, U-S-A!
N.B. Salzburg is lovely.

1 Like

It is my pleasure to welcome all quality folks to visiting of Hong Kong. Whether seriously in business or on a fun-loving hijink, make yourself totally homely in this meager environment. If any aspect is not utterly harmonious, gratefully bring it to my notice and I shall strive to earn your satisfaction.

3 Likes

There’s a joke to be made here about the Fast Food Presidency and Double Cheeseburger Diplomacy, but I actually think this is a good idea. In fact, I’d like to see it extended; every MdDonald’s wordwide should actually be an embassy, where those seeking asylum can find refuge, and people can apply for citizenship in the same amount of time it takes to get a Happy Meal.

8 Likes

Would you like spies with that?

4 Likes