McDonalds to avoid advertising with Ronald McDonald until "creepy clown" fad subsides

2 Likes

Was it only last year that they started trying that thing with the “new” hamburglar? Seems it died pretty quickly, considering the attention it got.

Also Obligitory:

6 Likes

Did anyone else notice that one of the Ronald changeovers happened around the same time as the death of Nixon? Coincidence? I think not.

1 Like

And yes, it’s based off a real place

I say bring back Moonman Mac Tonight

3 Likes

The puffy nonthreatening Hamburglar was himself an update to the creepy 1970s Hamburglar:

Also the original Grimace had four arms:

6 Likes

Choose Homer!

4 Likes

It was because Willard Scott gained weight, and McDonald’s thought a fat Ronald would be the wrong type of advertising.

2 Likes

Four-armed is forewarned.

5 Likes

Krusty was originally supposed to be Homer’s alter ego, but the writers abandoned that idea because it was too difficult to pull off.

2 Likes

That kind of reminds me of when McDonald’s plagiarized Cyriak.

7 Likes

I think Willard’s weight gain was later. He only played Ronald for two or three years in the sixties.

ETA: Hmmmm… Fast Food Nation backs you up. I stand corrected. Could have sworn he was more svelte back then. Perhaps only comparatively.

1 Like

WHOA! That was strange.

The Hamburglar looks like a grown-up Tommy from the Rugrats.

3 Likes

I remember the pre-McDonaldland marketing; it featured Ronald but none of the extraneous characters.

Ronald, or “a” Ronald, would make appearances at restaurants on this Flying Hamburger, which I think flew with the help of a crane. Might be just imagining it, but adverts (late 60s) showed Ronald zooming around on the thing.

McDonaldland profoundly bugged me out, much as PuffnStuff bugged me out. I was a MAD magazine devotee and primed to distrust marketing. In 4th grade I drew a little comic of the characters following Ronald into a volcano.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.