McKinney, TX wants $79K to retreive emails of the cop who tackled bikini-clad teen

I might be interested in working for a system that can’t search your previous emails.

4 Likes

They should bring in the kid who programmed the Amiga for his schools HVAC. It would be faster.

4 Likes

It’s also pretty neat to be able to argue, often convincingly, or at least stubbornly, enough to make people go away; that any otherwise-embarrassing conversation that happens during the course of deciding how best to stonewall a request is covered by attorney-client privilege or Work-product doctrine.

If you just handled it in-house, you’d have a greater risk of information useful to the adversary either becoming subject to public records requests itself, or being discoverable if they decide to sue you into compliance with the applicable open records law.

1 Like

Well, we were just going to mount the backup tape R/W and bubble sort it…

3 Likes

That might be faster.

1 Like

It’s interesting that the entire cost to make their email searchable has to be borne by the first search. How’d ya like to drop 80 large and then a week later your neighbor’s like “hey I just got a copy of every email from or to any McKinney official that has the words guacamole and peas FOR SEVENTY CENTS!”

Edit: maybe the wording of the state law allows this kind of costing :-\

3 Likes

Nah, a new search requires a new program and a couple thousand hours of server time.

5 Likes

What happens if Gawker pays them the $79,000 and the city doesn’t do anything? Can we get their sheriff or city administration fired? That’d be pretty sweet.

Anyone up to start a gofundme to pay these Jim Crow bastards their blood money and then kick their asses when they don’t deliver as required?

4 Likes

With the estimated 2200 hour execution time, I’d expect their IT department is working with these:

2 Likes

What are the odds that the emails don’t exist anymore?

3 Likes

It’s thermodynamically impossible for those emails to be literally gone…

But… In the case of migration from an absolutely ancient system to a modern one? There’s pretty good odds that a lot of stuff has been lost to the landfill.

1 Like

Well, the McKinney P.D. computer system is somewhat outdated…

They just don’t have the money for upgrades, after budgeting for weapons, training, and the DVD box set of Walker, Texas Ranger.

3 Likes

I’m not really feeling up to reading and interpreting the whole thing, but the first line in the “Common Questions” section seems to indicate that the McKinney PD is probably violating the State Purchasing and General Services Commission Guidelines.

2 Likes

Man, how do I get a job programming for these fine folks? $28.50 an hour is pretty shitty, but considering I’d get 2,231 hours (nearly 300 7.5 hour work days) to create a program (or “execute an existing program”) to search through their emails? I could just keep it as a second job, do the work in the last hour, and be well ahead of the game.

3 Likes

This sounds to me like the cost to make their email searchable once and once only for one thing and one thing only, ever.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.