Black teen, roughed up by cop, wins settlement in McKinney, Texas

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/09/black-teen-roughed-up-by-texa.html

10 Likes

There really should be some kind of disincentive for this kind of behavior. As much as I don’t like the US Congress as a whole, I do give them credit for making congress members pay out of pocket for sexual harassment settlements. Police officers should be paying out of pocket for their bad behavior as well.

30 Likes

goodks

22 Likes

BEAT ME TOO IT @AnthonyI !!!

Great news.

It would be absolutely fantastic, though, if – across this entire country – at least sizeable portions of cash settlements had to be made by the offending cops. I’d think they’d think twice if their gestapo techniques stood a chance of costing them serious out-of-pocket money.

22 Likes

I remember this guy. Christ what an asshole.

14 Likes

You would think the employer, city, county, state, etc. would simply terminate them. I mean it’s costing them money too.

7 Likes

Let me guess, no one admitted wrong doing.

2 Likes

In this case, they did, immediately, I believe. But it’s unfortunately rare. :frowning:

14 Likes

Don’t know why, but that rolling gif seemed SO MUCH like the way Michael Scott would’ve done it…

Also fuck that guy, it must have been so terrifying for that poor girl.

2 Likes

Too bad helpful white citizen couldn’t be dragged into the legal proceedings.

7 Likes

Yeah, I remember thinking from the safety of my chair that the roll was really so overdone that it would be hilarious if it wasn’t done in tandem with attacking a young girl over literally nothing. I kind of hope she can laugh about it now, if only because laughter is one of my favorite coping mechanisms.

7 Likes

Good. My follow-up question was whether this rage-a-holic was still on the job. The Root article says he “resigned” from the force, but that was 3 years ago. Someone should investigate if he laid low before joining another community’s police force. If that’s the case they need to be warned.

19 Likes

13 Likes

Even when they do, it’s not particularly helpful - cops in that position just find another job in another force, no problem. You’d think no one would want to hire them, as they’d already proven themselves to be liabilities, but… /shrug

Given how easily cops fired for gross misconduct find jobs in neighboring forces, no one seems to care. It’s baffling to me. Police forces must be so desperate for experienced cops that they just don’t care they’ve already been shown to be a problem, and/or they don’t do background checks on them (I know many police forces expunge disciplinary records after a short amount of time, so non-publicized infractions could easily be buried), and/or cops just look out for each other, to hell with the consequences. Whatever the reason, the consequences are toxic to police forces and communities.

10 Likes

Who can forget the wacky antics of Tumbles the Cop?

8 Likes

If I assaulted that girl like the cop did, I would be prosecuted for assault. But when someone paid to protect civilians instead assaults them, crickets.

It seems like all those months of police training should allow us to hold police to a higher bar, instead of no bar at all.

20 Likes

Incident summary:

10 Likes

This cop’s problems don’t seem to end at being poorly and inappropriately trained – he seems mentally ill to me.

4 Likes

Well then, perfect man for the job! (It so often seems.)

1 Like

CaptChaos
I imagine this was going through his head when he made his “entrance”.

2 Likes