McMansion Hell: the Campbell County, Wyoming edition

I think it’s a two-part problem.

One, cathedral ceilings w/minimal attic space having less capability to remove convection heat and two, rooms too large to move air around with existing central heat/AC units.

Just my guess.

7 Likes

It gets hot in Wyoming in the summer, FYI.

2 Likes

Peter Kropotkin was born into the Russian nobility, descended from the Rurikids, who were the Tsars before the Romanovs. But he rejected that and became an anarcho-communist, and fought for equality and mutual aid.

There are always good apples, the problem is that the rot from the bad apples spreads. Literal good apples don’t change rotten apples into ones that aren’t rotten. They need to be taken away from the bad apples to stay good.

7 Likes

You’re totally right. If only the rot could be contained.

2 Likes

How long has McMansion Hell been going? Far longer than it would take to run its joke into the ground, that’s for sure.

Wikipedia says it started in July 2016. This woman has been regularly pulling up real estate listings and coming up with snarky things to type over their photos for three entire years now. I guess that’s where the “hell” part really kicks in.

How about combining them in to a Golden Escatoilet?

5 Likes

That ceiling fan over the bed would make me insanely nervous. It’s just one loose bolt away from a Stupid Way To Die.

6 Likes

Are there newly built mansions which McMansion hell is fond of?

Not that I am ever going to be rich to the point of building a mansion, but I’m curious to know what is deemed OK for newly built palatial homes.

ETA: They have a “certified Dank” list. I am not a pot smoker, but this runs counter to my understanding of the meaning of “Dank”.

ETA: There’s one in Naperville: https://mcmansionhell.com/post/153307815291/naperville-il
I lived in Naperville for ~6 years. This is not particularly egregious for that city. There’s one along the DuPage river branch which is like a low-rent Scarface knockoff.

1 Like

Shut up and take my money!

2 Likes

To be fair, in that last picture, the number of pool tables that don’t have enough space around it to actually play pool without bumping your cue into a wall far outnumber pool tables with too much room.

4 Likes

Ceiling fans are quite useful in bedrooms, especially in houses without ait conditioning. Of course they sould be installed following regulations and have UL certification. I’ve seen wrought iron chandeliers over beds, and I’m not sure that is a good idea too…

1 Like

These are the interior of a house built illegally by some mobsters in Rome.
Somewhat I agree that is some request to show off the money they have to others, especially showing costly but not useful furniture or art.

There are wealthy people that like to have good interior design, so they ask to architects to make a project, and this could be costly too, but it doesn’t show off.

1 Like

We have one in our bedroom - we also have ac - but if it fell, it would only hit our feet.
I’d like to think it was installed correctly, I had an electrician do it.

I’m a pretty mechanically inclined person. I used to have a really questionable ceiling fan above my bed that I would lay under when it was hot, debating whether I should go into the crawl space above my (rental) room - sure to be super hot and claustrophobia inducing nightmare whenever I needed to run a fan - and check to see if the hardware was loose. I’d lay there debating if the wire nuts would hold it if the mounting bracket gave way or the collar nut backed off, and how much the blades would slow between losing electrical connection and contacting my body. A catastrophic failure would have probably left me bruised, unlikely hospitalized, but yeah, can’t absolutely rule out Stupid Way To Die. Ceiling fans are fun!

6 Likes

I don’t understand her hatred of island stoves and wall ovens. Wall ovens are easier on your back, because you don’t have to bend over as far. An island is a useful way ofof adding counter and cabinet space without creating either a looong galley arrangement or having a giant space in the middle of a kitchen. And it is easier to put a stove on an island than a sink, because there is no vent pipe to worry about. Her hatred of sponge painting, is strange, although it is difficult to get that right. (it has to be both even and irregular, which does not come aturally) But that half-wall arched entry? WTF.? It creates a terribly proportioned “foyer”, is ugly, and looks like somebody just got bored and wandered away halfway through creating a wall.

3 Likes

I have seen island on restaurants, so they aren’t a totally nuts thing to do, especially if the kitchen is big and square the central space can be used instead to have an empty. Wall oven are used also in restaurants, especially when they make pizza. Here a dual gas powered pizza oven:

3 Likes

Someone needs to trackdown the minecraft streamer who lives in his house.

Now that is a really frightening thought. Glad it was sarcasm.

Damn, this is hilarious. This end of N GA is trailerville, and the furnishings are close to identical to this Wyoming palace. The leather is vegan and cheap, the furniture is particleboard aka “triple-engraved print on wood fiber substrate” to the trade, and the curtains in both this house and the gangster abode can be had for under $10/pr with careful shopping.

The gangsters’ hall table appears to have been painted with Ace Hardware’s finest gold, over a 1960’s Home Interior plastic item.

Admittedly, my decor is entirely devoid of class, but it was sourced from the World’s Longest Yard Sale and local garages by a women with no pretense to wealth.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.