McMansion Hell: the Campbell County, Wyoming edition

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/17/divorce-lawyer-house.html

6 Likes

Nuke it from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure

21 Likes

I’d love to see Kate Wagner as a guest boinger. She’s awesome.

21 Likes

I dream of having an apartment or cottage half as spacious as any of those rooms.

9 Likes

Would it “show” better without the furniture and decor? Or with different furniture and decor?

2 Likes

I would like Kate Wagner to be the new infrastructure czar, HUD secretary, and Minister of Aesthetics in the USA’s post 2020 regime.

22 Likes

It would show better after a wrecking ball, that’s for sure.

Seriously, I don’t get why such expensive houses are furnished by Dave’s Nineties Rejects Furniture Emporium.

edited to add: D’oh. Just checked the date of the post.

Still and all, wrecking ball.

3 Likes

At first, I thought the interior sponge paint job was camo. Beige hunting camo. I mean, isn’t everything in Wyoming beige camo? They like that there, don’t they?

8 Likes

Remove the furniture and paint the walls. Remove the mantle-thing and the carpeting, then you’re most of the way there. Oh and solve the celling fan fetish.

3 Likes

Egads, even for the early aughts, that’s hideous.

9 Likes

I hear the McMansion people have a website where they make fun of cigar box banjo making, kombucha drinking posers willing to pay $1,500 a pop to spend a weekend (of Wonder) with a BoingBoing editor and his friends. But that’s none of my business…

6 Likes

Sweet. But it could really use a gold toilet and an escalator.

11 Likes

I look at these houses and wonder who thinks these would be great spaces to live in. I mean, what - besides the grotesque advertisement for conspicuous consumption that they represent - positive features do they actually have? None, as far as I can tell. The interiors are awkward, overly-large, poorly laid out, impossible to clean, with weird dividers, columns, tacky surface treatments and paint - and that doesn’t even get into the monstrousness of the outside of the building. (And to make matters worse, they’ve often dressed the interiors just for sale, not with any kind of livable arrangement, e.g. that dining table and rug.)

The only way any of this makes any sense is if there are people out there who say, “Fuck it, I don’t care about a comfortable, livable, beautiful home, I just want a signifier of my wealth.”

8 Likes

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/03/trump-style-dictator-autocrats-design-214877

9 Likes

What’s with all the “marble” arches?

I like how the manly gamer room has a big teddy bear sitting on the table to the right. That’s a really nice accent touch. Is it a hunting trophy?

3 Likes

That reaction is probably one that the buyers of such houses prize more than most of the design or furnishings of them.

Does anything say “I’ve got mine” quite like being able to squander what others lack?

6 Likes

I’ve set foot in a few “reasonably large” homes of rich people (from an eye surgeon’s home near the White Mansion featured in Twister – Crispin Glover version – to one owned by the matriarch of some 60s/70s era Kentucky governor’s family). Now, those homes were architecturally tasteful, but most definitely pre or cusp 1980s.

3 Likes

The richest guy I know is an anomaly amongst the petit bougie set. He’s incredibly generous, radically progressive, and has impeccable taste in everything. Also the greatest guitarist I’ve ever known, and he introduced me to this site! Weird, right?

I suspect the majority of the “upper echelon” to be vastly tasteless, but there’s always a few good apples.

6 Likes

The fake arch (with the flat top) that delineates the fake foyer is really something else.

3 Likes

Really, why do you need celing fans in Wyoming? Is global warming that bad already?

1 Like