McMansion Hell's tour through Texas's Most Terrible fake castles

What kind of insulation? Exterior continuous? Underneath slab? Against the foundation wall? How efficient is the furnace/ac?

New integral insulation CMU is really pretty awesome. You should check it out.

2 Likes

Also to be clear, I really love ‘old’ good architecture. I think there is just too much nostalgia for ‘old’ architecture.

1 Like

Sadly, won’t play in my region (Canada). I am old enough to remember “two holer” outhouses, though. I think the intent with those, however, was caliber related.

1 Like

This pic pretty much says it all. Kevin Nealon and Victoria Jackson as the couple who are never apart:

1 Like

Admittedly, for much of the year in Texas, being outside is pretty unpleasant.

2 Likes

It’s not really about the old part, it’s about designing/building something that makes sense.
Most of these monstrosities - as noted - are edifices of ego ahead of everything else. Of course the irony is that anyone with a shred of taste thinks they’re gross.

4 Likes

Have you met houses that are over 100 years old? There’s almost no insulation unless someone did retrofits at some point. Someone did that with our house in the 50’s. Net result: what insulation?

1 Like

I’ve seen some very impressive installations of newspaper.

1 Like

Our house is 4200 sq ft. including the basement and located in northern Utah. 6 Bedroom, 3.5 bath. 5 of us living here (3 kids). Not bad to clean at all. We both work full time jobs and have kids that do chores. We have our utilities on equal pay. Our electrical is $110 a month and our gas is $80 a month. We have a little under a quarter acre lot, so small yard, but neighborhood parks and pool. $70 HOA covers those.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.