MDMA dose alters white supremacist's radical beliefs

Originally published at: MDMA dose alters white supremacist's radical beliefs | Boing Boing

9 Likes
7 Likes

Hopeful that this can become another tool to help people better themselves, whatever they might be struggling with. Particularly in conjunction with therapy

Normalize Mental Health GIF by mtv

28 Likes

This is great.

I’m hoping the MDMA they gave him was in the form of a “red pill.”

8 Likes

so wait, we could make a dent in white supremacy and nazism by getting them all high on X at a rave or something? LET’S DO THIS

23 Likes

While historically the nazis were partial to amphetamines for destructive purposes, it’s a relief to hear that today an MDMA dose has since had a more positive effect on more than one breed of creepy slimeball creature… as well as octupuses Octopuses on ecstasy just want a cuddle

15 Likes

the red pilling thing makes me so sad. lana wachowski wrote it, i think, as sort of a metaphor for trans-ness and coming out; but then it got twisted into the idea that the world has somehow victimized straight cis white men, so they need to wake up :confused:

ironic, i guess, that now they’re against being “woke”.

12 Likes

My first thought too. But in reading the entire article it appears that the drug may only have this effect on someone already questioning their life choices, and when taken in an isolated environment. In large groups it may just reinforce the insular nature of the group; tripping with other Nazis just brings most of the Nazis closer together.

13 Likes

Once (if) out for theraputic use, it will be called “Face Punch”.

6 Likes

well, poop. :frowning_face:
and here i was all excited.

6 Likes

Maybe there is another way to get through to them?

9 Likes

“Thou shalt not alter thy brother’s consciousness without his consent.” Spider Robinson
If it could get more white-supremacist-Qanon-fascist-idiots to reconsider poor life choices, I might bend that rule a bit.

8 Likes

Dose them all and let god sort them out.

9 Likes

I say, get Honor Blackman and her team into some Jetstars and crop-dust them with pulverized MDMA a la Goldfinger.

8 Likes

That’s my sense as well. Fascists and white supremacists are fundamentally unhappy people who, rather than taking steps to address it, instead find others to blame for their misery and share it with them. If they’re open to the idea of taking personal responsibility for their problems, MDMA may turbocharge the process of. Otherwise it’s not a magic bullet cure.

10 Likes

i can say that, as a bowler, i’ve definitely competed against people i am sure are MAGA types, but i’m not sure i can say i’ve bowled against skinheads or nazis. Also, i’m not sure bowling is changing their mind on anything.

3 Likes

I had the same thought myself. I’ve read several accounts by people who tried psilocybin and came out of it saying it gave them a sense of all people, even all life on Earth, being connected. But these were people who already felt that to some degree. If the drug had any effect on their personal views it merely intensified those views.

Which reminds me of something I heard as a kid about cocaine: it intensifies your personality which wouldn’t be a bad thing if most of the people who used it weren’t assholes.

11 Likes

I’ve never seen anyone be fluffy or friendly on coke; it’s for assholes.

MDMA is pretty much the opposite.

7 Likes

I mean, okay, neat if true, but

N=1

That makes all of this meaningless. The MDMA may have nothing to do with this guy’s change of heart. Or maybe he was lying when he said it. Or drunk. There are a million possible explanations. Scientists shouldn’t even write articles about something when n=1. It’s a waste of time.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.