Me, Myself and Microbes: the relationship between microbes, brains and behaviors

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/10/we-are-cars-for-germs.html

2 Likes

I, for one, welcome our old gut microbe overlords.

6 Likes

they told me to say that

8 Likes

Worth a another look:

1 Like

I loved the art and animation.

5 Likes

Get-That-Corn-Outta-My-Face-Jack-Black-In-Nacho-Libre-Gif|nullxnull

5 Likes

I quite like the idea of me being not just a single person but a whole world for the few billion microbes that reside in me. In a way, I’m their god. An uncaring and cruel one, but still :grin:

2 Likes

Hey, I’m a mobile ecosystem!

2 Likes

After taking a course of strong antibiotics, I felt quite lonesome. Sure, the Staphylococci and Actinobacters on my skin are swell, but I just couldn’t wait to replenish my Acidophilus and Lactobacillus with a few cartons of yogurt.

That would make a cool video game!

2 Likes

@DukeTrout - The bacteria in yogurt are friendly, and produce substances that soothe our system, but they can’t survive for long in the human gut, they evolved to live in milk. They just move on through us, they can’t replace the human-dependent bacteria killed off by antibiotics.

While they are temporarily in us, they do good things for our intestines. That’s why yogurt is healthy to take until the proper gut bacteria that evolved with us colonize us again from our surrounding humans. But no, yogurt will not “replace your gut bacteria”.

2 Likes

Thanks, E-C!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.