Mean Monkey Monday 13

I’m disappointed, too—I didn’t even see that one. I do have a picture of the statue of Rangda eating some poor woman at the creation temple (which was worth a visit) and I saw plenty of wooden penises for sale from the vendors in the forest, though. Close?

I got two words for ya “Monkey Herpes”.

well…and then some other words like “60% fatality”
and…

well…did I mention Monkey Herpes?

(no…really…its a big deal…you should freak out…its okay)

1 Like

I found that you need to offer food to the leader of the monkeys (he was sitting on a wall watching) and then they are nicer to you. Before I figured that out, a monkey reached into my pocket and grabbed some paper money and ran off with it. He knew it was valuable and I was able to trade a bag of peanuts to get my money back.
One guy in another group of tourists was targeted by the monkeys, for no apparent reason, and one actually climbed up on him and urinated all over his shirt.

1 Like

Read your article yesterday, after already booking a trip to the Monkey Forest for today; with my wife and nearly 2 year old daughter.

Firstly, I’ll state that the entire thing was an absolutely magical experience for the entire family. I loved it and took about a hundred nice photos, my wife loved it, and my daughter was just in hysterics laughing the vast majority of the time. I could have stayed hours, but it had been a long morning and my daughter did start to get cranky after about an hour in the park as she was well overdue for her nap.

Next: @ggxgg is right. Even the most basic research (like talking to a single person who had already been) should have warned you about the critters stealing things, going for food and that feeding them probably isn’t a great idea (yes I understand that there were people selling bananas there, this is Bali, tourism is the biggest industry on the island, don’t be surprised).

Secondly, maybe you were there on a very bad day, or more likely you weren’t paying enough attention. The monkeys were interacting everywhere today. They were grooming each other all over the place, they were playing with each other in the pond in the middle of the park, chasing each other up and down trees, hanging out as families (got some amazing photos of that…), feeding and nursing their young, etc.

Thirdly, I did see a couple of monkeys get aggressive with people, but every time it was damn obvious that was going to happen, like the douche-bag in your story taunting the monkey with the banana, there were clear warning signs. I didn’t see any jumping from trees or statues onto people, but I did see them jumping at each other from trees and statues so I don’t doubt they could.

Seriously, magical place. I’ll return on my next trip to Bali for sure. Just be sensible.

I’m pleased you had a good time. And to be clear, we did do some research and knew there would be a slight danger (there always is), I shrugged off some of the more negative reviews at my peril. But, during our visit, the monkeys were quite aggressive from the first moment we walked into the place; not sure why. Maybe tourists ahead of us got them riled up or something.

And while there were occasional cute moments, when the monkey attacked the child and the chorus of monkeys around us started screaming, that was the moment we realized it wouldn’t take too much for this all to go wrong very quickly. Yes, I agree it is a magical place. I particularly enjoyed the cremation temple.

Again, I’m glad you had a good time and experienced happy, human-loving monkeys. But my experience was quite different.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.