Meet Hal, the Pediatric Patient Simulator built to suffer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/19/meet-hal-the-pediatric-patien.html

3 Likes

So is abject terror his only expression, or is that just the only one they felt they needed to showcase? Between the jerky movement and twitching jaw while “speaking” (channeling?) I have a hard time not reading even his resting face as “kill…me…”

11 Likes

Does he sing “Daisy Bell (Bicycle Built for Two)”?

9 Likes

Chucky finally got a job.

13 Likes

Useful for determining which one of your classmates will earn this year’s Mengele award.

6 Likes

I think he’s just a mouth-breather.

7 Likes

I was going to comment on the skin and gender of the Hal, but it does appear they offer it in different skin tones (though all of the ads and default images are Caucasian).

7 Likes

“When I grow up, I want to be a real boy.”

“You’re not going to grow up, Hal.”

Actually that default model reminds me of Joe 90. What does the Doctor look like?

6 Likes

You know, no Peeps :tm: at all is a therapeutic amount for me. /s

Oh God Dave, there’s something wrong!

2 Likes

I read the headline as the Pedantic Patient Simulator, which would have been a whole lot more fun…

6 Likes

Excuse me, doctor, but you used the term “nasal passages” in the wrong way.

3 Likes

Start the video muted, then fire up the Terminator theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcNXq5DUZnk

3 Likes

I don’t know. I think if they tried they could have found a more repetitive and annoying background music track to play. I’m going to be humming that damned thing all day, and I only made it through half of the video.

I’m also hoping some of the “and more!” selectable emotional states is “hopped up on goofballs” and “found daddy’s gun”.

Also, HAL? Seriously? “ROBBY” would have been a much better name for a robot kid.

Voiceover: “On the next exciting episode of Forbidden Hospital, ROBBY gets into the liquor cabinet then heads up to the roof!”

4 Likes

pain

10 Likes

“Tactile pleural pop and fluid drain.” Oh god. That’s genius, but no thanks.

3 Likes

Finally an answer to the question, what if Soren Kierkegaard wrote RUR?

3 Likes

So this is our own version of the Monster’s Inc training simulator where they try to scare the snot out of the animatronic kid.

2 Likes

No, this is Mk 1. That will be included further down the road in the Mk 9000 model.

1 Like

So… is this lovely child anatomically correct? Asking for a clergy friend…

2 Likes