Meet Jobbe Wijnen, a "pull-tab archeologist"

Originally published at: Meet Jobbe Wijnen, a "pull-tab archeologist" | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I’m so old that I managed to collect one of the original-style pull tabs, by embedding it in my arm after it was somehow lodged between the panels of a giant wooden playground slide

1 Like

Detectorists-image-in-content-300x200

7 Likes

I remember when pull tabs transitioned from the kind that yanks off a portion of the top of the can, typically left as litter on the ground, to the kind that shoves a portion of the can’s top into the beverage. This latter approach seems questionably hygenic to me.
I guess the beverage tends to leak around and rinse the top of the can when drinking anyway.

1 Like

We used to rip the ring part of the tab off and using the spring tension of the tongue part shoot it across the room. Fun times.

2 Likes

growing up in texas, we called those old-style ring-and-tongue type pop tops “Aggie class rings”.
(with apologies to @danimagoo who IIRC attended that esteemed university, A&M).

3 Likes

Occurs to me songs like Buffet’s Margaritaville contain lyrics that will be misunderstood by countless future generations.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Ah, not some kind of instant archeologist, like a Emergency Medical Hologram.

“What is the nature of your archeological mystery?”

1 Like

Interesting. I never heard them called that before, but I grew up in North Texas, practically in Oklahoma, and people didn’t seem to talk about A&M or tell Aggie jokes that much there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.