Meet John Horgan and the BC NDP - North America’s most progressive government

The referendum is binding and there is no threshold (I can’t find a link to back that up, though).

1 Like

I’ve been reading BoingBoing since the early 2000’s and I’m very excited to see a fellow British Columbian posting!!!

Welcome neighbour!

4 Likes

I do not come here for politics.

Odd place to comment then.

5 Likes

Which is why I am glad they are not running the government. I am also glad the NDP have to account for their views, however.

I have always supported the NDP, but they are more than quick to throw the environmentalists under the bus at the first sign of trouble. It’s happened many times and I’m sure it would happen again. At the same time, I’ve always liked the Greens but they are happy to ignore social issues (in their current incarnation).

My happy place is a progressive government that needs to keep the environmentalists on board. hope lasts long enough to effect lasting change.

1 Like

That’s a good thing. This current government is fragile to say the least. It is really important to set up a system where it isn’t possible to take total control with 35% of the vote.

3 Likes

I’m from BC we can’t wait to get rid of the back door government, it is a minority achieved by questionable means: the lieutenant governor refused to call an election and enabled her friends in the Green Party to make a few extortionary deals with the number two party, the NDP before she retired and went back to her eco ranch. Now we are embroiled in a grand scandal seeming to involve the main officers in the legislature - haven’t found out if it’s anything to do with the manipulation of the government but it wouldn’t surprise me. Very high taxes, very high unemployment, very high crime rate, only rich people’s kids isolated from the vississitudes of reality would use a word like ‘progressive’ to describe this old boys club running the show out of Victoria.

I don’t see how anything is questionable about the government. It is the lieutenant governor’s duty to pick a government that is stable and capable of running the province, regardless of ideology. So far, even if you don’t like it, the coalition has been stable.

Unemployment continues to go down. Though, you can make a good argument that this has nothing to do with the current government and they are only inheriting a strong economy from the wider world.

When you are talking about crime rate, do you mean organized crime, political scandals, or violent/property crime? Organized crime has been a growing problem in BC for a long time. I think that David Eby is finally taking it seriously (though arguably, he’s not doing enough even now). If you’re talking about political scandals, you’re right…what happened over the last few days is concerning and we will find out more soon.

And as for taxes, I think you’re talking about the mansions tax (on houses costing $3 million or more) and their other plans to deal with high housing costs. I don’t think they’re doing everything right, but they are certainly doing more than the Liberals before them

1 Like

There seem to be a fair few of us!

“Condos in the sky” is a great title for a song.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.