Meet the aphids that are born pregnant and eager to destroy your garden

Originally published at: Meet the aphids that are born pregnant and eager to destroy your garden | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Nasty little buggers. Use a diluted 80% Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap to H2o, and wipe on both sides of the leaf. Should fix their red wagon good. Also try companion planting to ward off pests!

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 8.06.49 AM

11 Likes
14 Likes

So… They’re tribbles?

14 Likes

Lady bugs are stone cold killer!

4 Likes

This stuff is amazing.
Just don’t ever get it in your eyes.

2 Likes

I uses a similar concoction:
savonnoir
Though TBH diluted dish soap also works.

This stuff seems to be good too, but I only started trying it at the end of last season when my brussels had the usual infestation of the mealy cabbage aphid
It certainly helped with that.

The trouble with ladybirds is that even when there are lots of them (and there were, here, last year) they simply cannot control an outbreak of the mealy cabbage aphid. Ok this is partly because they are under netting to keep the local pigeons off - but even without netting they just cannot keep up with the reproductive rate of those nasty grey little fuckers. I tend to let green aphids be, on my beans, and the ladybirds mostly keep things from getting too out of hand.

3 Likes

I’ve heard that before…

4 Likes

First thing I thought of.

3 Likes

Too late. Too many Tribble references!

1 Like

Well Tribble references are born pregnant. One reference begats another 10

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure Edward wouldn’t think that was a problem.

2 Likes

Get 'em, lady.

Fuckers killed my aloe plant and had ants invading my kitchen until I finally figured it out.

(Turns out that ants really do ‘farm’ aphids because they basically shit sugar.)

1 Like

Wow, so this is actually a thing.

2 Likes

What the actual, ever living… ?! I have no words! (No words that won’t get me into deep shit for uttering them…)

1 Like

Don’t worry. It’s just an obvious plant.

2 Likes

Those are hilarious!

I should have figured it was a fake, but I’ve seen so many flat out bizarre toys, especially when living abroad, that I wouldn’t be surprised if it were real…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.